Clipping back in uphill

firefly2k8
firefly2k8 Posts: 4
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
I have regular look cleats/clipless pedals on my road bike. I want to continue using them for their efficiency. Having replaced the cleats for new ones, clipping out has become second nature. But clipping back in is sometimes a problem, especially uphill, or when i need it most like at a roundabout/junction. I always unclip from my left foot, as being right handed that lets me start off on the stronger side.

A bad cyclist blames his kit, but road shoes are a bad design aren't they?
> You can't use the heal for a bit because its too slippery - why don't they put some flat rubber on it.
> And the pedal always flips upside down - why can't they be dual sided or better balanced. I thought about buying some more pedals and welding them onto the reverse side!!

Any tips/thoughts?

Comments

• gloomyandy
    gloomyandy Posts: 520
    What sort of cleats do you have? I have look keos and the cleats that came with them were just plain plastic and I had all sorts of problems when setting off and occasionally failing to get into the clip, my foot would just skid off of the pedal . I then discovered a slightly more expensive version of the look cleat that has rubber pads on it. I find these much better and can continue to pedal even if I fail to clip first time...
  • my pedals are a bit obscure:
    http://www.vpcomponents.com/newen/produ ... php?id=158
    This is the cleat:
    http://www.vpcomponents.com/newen/produ ... l.php?id=8

However, i replaced this with 'look delta' cleats (similar to: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/look-delta-cleats/) that have a little white bit at the front, no rubber though. Which ones do you have exactly?
  • Had same issues, changed to i-clic's, plenty of nobbly bits on cleat if you miss first time although i find them easier to hit 1st time anyway, no more problems.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    I despise Look gripper cleats. Stopped using them a while ago due to the constant need to add talc to stop the dreaded cleat creak as soon as I got out of the saddle. Went back to non grip and didn't have a problem. I also found the grip version hard to clip in sometimes (prob because they're thicker) non grips were fine.
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    I have had all sorts of problems when I first went to SPD-SL's. Things are better now and I find the biggest mistake I make when clipping in is to rush, which is what you often do when faced with hills/traffic etc.

Take your time and get it right first go. It might take a second longer than you would like but you will soon speed that up.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • Amoger
    Amoger Posts: 46
    "> You can't use the heel for a bit because its too slippery - why don't they put some flat rubber on it.
    > And the pedal always flips upside down - why can't they be dual sided or better balanced. I thought about buying some more pedals and welding them onto the reverse side!!"

Couldn't agree more, and even worse - why call them "clipless"!
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    My pedals are exactly like those. It's all a matter of practicing really. When clipping uphill the only thing I do different is I hold the brakes and release them as I push down on the pedal already clipped in (my strongest foot). I always clip my other foot right away by the way (I used to turn it a bit around with the heel to gain speed when I wasn't used to it yet, but like you said, it slipped).
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    don't rely always on unclipping the same foot first. It's fine if you stop in a straight line but if you have to stop quickly when turning, e.g right if you unclip your left shoe first you will fall off.
    By all means have a favourite shoe to unclip first but it won't work every time. Pays to be alert out there!
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    Double sided Speedplay pedals can't go wrong, love them!!!.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    mtb shoes and pedals. i use them on my road/tourer. they can be made as stiff and light (almost) as road shoes. pedal platform size is not an issue if you have stiff soles. i use time pedals. Z control on the mtb and road bike when touring, atac on the road bike the rest of the time. Same shoes whatever I ride.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,194
    Amoger wrote:
    "> You can't use the heel for a bit because its too slippery - why don't they put some flat rubber on it.
    > And the pedal always flips upside down - why can't they be dual sided or better balanced. I thought about buying some more pedals and welding them onto the reverse side!!"

Couldn't agree more, and even worse - why call them "clipless"!

They are clipless because when they first came out they replaced toe clips (and straps). Believe me, getting in and out of clipless is a lot easier than old school toe clips were! The problem with clipless is the more you think about clipping in the harder it gets. Even after all these years I find it hard in places like pulling away uphill from lights when you are in a rush to get going and you are struggling for momentum one legged. It's best to get into a nice low gear prior to stopping I find.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    kayo74 wrote:

+1. I'm always first away from a junction because it's virtually impossible to miss a clip-in with Speedplays.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    kayo74 wrote:

Posh MTB pedals :wink:

Seriously though, MTB pedals may be the solution. Once you are used to them, clipping in is no harder than putting your foot on a flat pedal. They are double sided and a pair of pedals (Shimano M520) can be had for £20 with cleats.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Another Speedplay convert here. They are great, but you can still have problems, especially if you have put your foot down on a verge and got some mud in the cleat....

Regarding starting off uphill, low gear before you stop, good push off and perhaps even a couple of turns unclipped on one side to get momentum before clipping in. Depends on how steep the hill is really! On the steep stuff, if it is quiet enough ride across the hill or even down as you clip in before turning back uphill...

PP
  • Thank you all for your replies. Some very useful help here. In summary we have:

> not clipping out on the same foot always, in case one time you need to use the other (very good point)
    > gear down before the junction (provided it doesnt sneak up on you)
    > practise, in particular being cool/not rushing and committing to locking in on the first go (or if the hill isn't too steep turn on one foot until convenient)
    > using the breaks to give you more control
    > going downhill if possible and looping back around
    > get some speedplays

Although the more I use the clipless system the better I am getting, I think I will explore the speedplays further. There is always going to be an occasion where I will be in a rush/ very steep hill/ not able to loop around/ in the wrong gear, and when this happens I want to be in/out the pedals in a split second.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    firefly2k8 wrote:
    ... There is always going to be an occasion where I will be in a rush/ very steep hill/ not able to loop around/ in the wrong gear, and when this happens I want to be in/out the pedals in a split second.

If this is a big worry I would recommend shimano spd (mtb) pedals with multi-release cleats.

You soon get used to unclipping, and even with speedplays there will come a time when you can't unclip. The multi-release cleats will allow you to rip your foot out from practically any angle. The downside to this is that it can allow an accidental release when you least expect it.

Try to ensure that when you are unclipping, your leg is at the bottom of the stroke, you have more power and more rotational movement from the hip, rather than at the top or half way through the stroke, when you have only rotation from the knee (not much movement) and ankle (lots of movement, not too much power).

This still won't prevent the occasional topple, it is a hazard that you get used to.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • nick300zx
    nick300zx Posts: 219
    +1. I'm always first away from a junction because it's virtually impossible to miss a clip-in with Speedplays.

I've just converted to Speedplays from spd-sl's and they're brilliant! Easier to get in and, more importantly for me, dead easy to get out. It's actually given me more confidence on climbs. Before I was so scared of coming to a stop and falling over that I was unclipping too early, losing momentum and stopping. Now with the confidence of being able to unclip quickly I can pedal for longer.
    I've only had one problem when getting away at lights, over confidently stamped into pedal too quickly, slipped and nut-slammed (is that a word?) the saddle. Gave the rider next to me a laugh as I swore loudly. :oops:

HTH
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    With mountain bike type shoes and double-sided SPDs, it's also easy to unclip one foot in plenty of time and pedal up to and through juctions with one foot unclipped but just moved a bit forward on the pedal, and it won't slip off like roads shoes would. They when safely through junction you can easily clip back in.