Dyna-sys 10 Speed chain - direction?

Jamieg285
Jamieg285 Posts: 98
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Tech FAQs wrote:
The dyna sys chain is a directional chain that is made to shift better with 10 speed mountain drivetrains.

I've got one of these on my bike, and will be removing it for cleaning soon. How do I identify which way round it goes, and what are the consequences of getting it on backwards?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    look at it and put it on the same way. you will see the difference in the side plates.

May not shift as well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I appreciate there is an inner and outer face to Shimano chains (Outer face has writing on it). But is there also a forward and backward direction? According to the Shimano information, when fitting an HG54/74/94 the open end of the outer link should face the direction of the rotation. Can this really make any difference.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    That's to do with joining strength AFAIK, but I can't see there'd be much difference.

But yes, as said, writing on the outside. That said, I fitted my road one backwards (intentionally) and didn't notice any difference. Perhaps on a brand new drive train on the stand, but IRL, not so much!
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Fitted the new chain last night. While doing so, I notice, although all the writing is on the outside face, it's not all the same way up. I also fitted a connex link so didn't use the shimano connector pin.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    No, it's not all the same way up, so that some is legible on the top run of the chain, and some on the bottom. If it was all the same way it would be upside down on one or t'other.