What should I look for in my next bike.

1964johnr
1964johnr Posts: 179
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
2008-2009 Thought I would try a road bike after getting to old for football.Raleigh Europa from the 1970s. First road bike. no decent components of any sort. Like riding a cast iron bath.

2009-2010 Raleigh Team Banana. No integrated shifters, rear mech not to clever, but felt great after the Europa.

2011-present. Second hand Giant SCR2. Entry level bike, aluminium with Tiagra components and as light as a feather compared with my first two bikes. First ride felt like I had the best bike in the world. (I know that's nowhere near the truth)

2012 Looking to obtain yet another vast improvement on my next bike. What bikes should I look at and how much do I need to spend?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    The SCR2 is a good bike, anything you don't like about it and what's your budget?
  • bus_ter
    bus_ter Posts: 337
    I don't think you'll see a vast improvement to be honest.

First of all I would look at the fit. Are you 100% happy with your Giant? What would you change?

After that you could look at a lighter carbon bike, but it will be a little lighter, few kgs less maybe.

Are you happy with the shifting of the Tiagra? If you move up to 105 or ultegra it will be a little slicker and weigh a little less, but certainly not a vast improvment IMHO. What about the gearing? Wish you had some lower gears for hill climbs? higher gears for the flat?
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    What are you looking to do on it? Is it for general fitness riding or racing of some sort? Budget is a big consideration, if you only have £1-1.5k then you'd not notice much improvement on what you have. Stretch it up to £2-2.5k and I'd think you'd notice a big step up in quality and ride comfort. At that price you could look at nice Ti frame, Ultegra and decent wheels if you are just doing general riding
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    1964johnr wrote:
    2008-2009 Thought I would try a road bike after getting to old for football.Raleigh Europa from the 1970s. First road bike. no decent components of any sort. Like riding a cast iron bath.

Excellent machine. I've turned mine into a single speed bike and it's great fun. Agreed about the components, everything bar the frame and forks is now back in the rubbish dump I found the bike in.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I think you'd probably notice a difference with £1k to spend on something new -> you could get a decent Aluminium frame, 105 groupset (probably not complete though -> different cassette, brakes), nice enough wheelset.

You'd be getting a better, lighter frame than the SCR if you went for its replacement the Defy (with the 2012 version getting amazing reviews http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-giant-defy-1-12-45849), better/lighter groupset, and nice wheels (which even if they weren't lighter.. are going to run smoother than a 4 year old set of <£200 wheels).

I'm not sure how much you'd have to spend to replicate that amazing feeling you get the first time you ride a 1/2 decent roadbike.

It would probably need to be a 7~8kg bike with good power transfer and a nice light wheelset. So you're probably looking at £2k?

I'd just get something that looks better than the SCR though, then it won't matter so much if it rides significantly better because it looks a lot better!

I'd also recommend a bike fit -> a lot of shops include this with the purchase of a new bike... after a fit the bike will definitely feel and ride better.
  • 1964johnr
    1964johnr Posts: 179
    Thanks for the advice. I will look at the Giant Defy 1 and some other possibilities between £1000 and £1500. It seems that I might not find a massive difference in quality by trading up unless I go to a Carbon frame with Ultegra and that might not be affordable for me.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    1964johnr wrote:
    It seems that I might not find a massive difference in quality by trading up unless I go to a Carbon frame with Ultegra and that might not be affordable for me.

THe Ultegra won't make any difference - the carbon might.
    Faster than a tent.......