Position on the Saddle

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I'd always thought that Rule 20 was a spot of macho posturing, but in a Riders' Guide for an upcoming Sportive I came across these tips.

"When riding at speed, you should be down on the bottom section of the handlebars, with your
backside moved slightly forwards on the saddle to engage your quads fully.

When riding uphill or into a headwind, you shift back in the saddle to engage your gluteal muscles
fully, and your feet should now have the heels down at the finish of the stroke to fully engage your
calf muscles as well."

How important/effective is saddle position?
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    On the rivet innit
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    I hate 'those rules' (cycling shouldn't have any rules - unless they are 'race rules' or the 'Highway Code')

I've never really thought about position related to the type of riding, but ....

When you are riding at speed, you are trying to be aero, so your hands are in the drops with your head is down, which means you have no choice but to use your quads. Although I've not measured it, I feel more stretched in the drop anyway, and it feels natural to be pulled to the nose of the seat.
    And the same for climbing or on the hoods. The more upright your body, the more you tend to use your glutes... and you tend to naturally push yourself back on the seat without thinking.

So even though I kind of agree with the statement, it does seem that you are being told something that comes naturally. I'm pretty sure if you analysed yourself when out on a ride, that you are doing this already.
    Simon
  • snickwell
    snickwell Posts: 72
    I hate 'those rules' (cycling shouldn't have any rules - unless they are 'race rules' or the 'Highway Code')

I've never really thought about position related to the type of riding, but ....

When you are riding at speed, you are trying to be aero, so your hands are in the drops with your head is down, which means you have no choice but to use your quads. Although I've not measured it, I feel more stretched in the drop anyway, and it feels natural to be pulled to the nose of the seat.
    And the same for climbing or on the hoods. The more upright your body, the more you tend to use your glutes... and you tend to naturally push yourself back on the seat without thinking.

So even though I kind of agree with the statement, it does seem that you are being told something that comes naturally. I'm pretty sure if you analysed yourself when out on a ride, that you are doing this already.

The Velominati 'rules' are very much tongue in cheek and ironic...
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    snickwell wrote:

The Velominati 'rules' are very much tongue in cheek and ironic...

shhhh don't call them ironic or the hipsters will all become roadies
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    The best (although absolutely by no means perfect!!) way is to sit on the bike and either back pedal for a few mins, or put it in a Turbo and ride for a few mins until you settle into the most comfortable place in the saddle.

Then drop a plumb line from the front of the bony part of your knee.When the cranks are horizontal, this should pass between the pedal axle and the front of the crank (opinion is divided on exactly which where). This gives you a close approximation. An alternative is that your Centre of gravity (approx your belly button) should be above the BB (with a plumb line)

From here you can adjust it a little for personal preference, TTers GENERALLY like it more forward, climbers GENERALLY like it more back. The most important part however is that you re not adjusting reach to the bars with saddle position - that is a stem length thing.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    I had good fun reading those rules :)