Getting back into it - advice appreciated

muran
muran Posts: 105
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Having already gained some very useful information from this forum I think it's probably time to show my short list and hopefully get some guidance from you guys - the pro's.

Firstly I've been off a mountain bike for a good few years and would like to get back into it. I'm 6"5 so probably going to need an extra large frame (though I know this isn't necessarily a given and depends a lot on brand). My riding will be mixed and will involve mostly trail riding up and down the old canals and railway tracks with a little road riding in between. I'm not interested in a hybrid though, just want a good all rounder. 

Now, budget. Getting back into it I don't want to fork out stupid money and around £300 is going to be my guide. I don't expect miracles for this bit I would like a front suspension hard tail with disc brakes. My short list from research on these forums and through word of mouth has brought me to the following short list. 

carrera Vulcan / vengeance
Rock rider 5.2 / xc5
Mongoose tyax comp 2011
Giant revel disc 2012
Gt avalanche 3.0

I'd be interested to know what you all think and if there is better available for the money?

I've also thought about buying second hand but my need for a large frame seems to limit that market. I'm happy to buy last years model of the named brands or even the year before, latest and greatest is not a must. 

Look forward to your comments, thanks in advance.

Comments

• El Zomba
    El Zomba Posts: 164
    Out of all of those you've listed, go for the Vulcan. It's a little over your £300, but it's the best bike in the list by far. If your budget can stretch to £500, also consider the Rockrider 8.1 (Best in Class in terms of spec and value for money) or the VooDoo HooDoo (before The Beginner says it :lol: ). That said, if you've been out of it for a while, and need to include all the stuff like a Helmet, gloves and all the other little odds and sods into your budget too, the Vulcan would be your best bet.
  • muran
    Surprised, from comments here and around the web I had considered the Giant to have been the better of the options, followed by the GT. I am a little shocked that a Halfords own brand would offer the better value.

£500 would definitely be too much. In all honesty even £300 is too much but I once I have to spend at least that to stand a chance of getting a semi decent bike. Trick is to get the best I possibly can for that money.

Thanks for your input, I'll be looking to visit a few bike shops (including Halfords) over the next couple of weeks.

Still researching in the meantime so any other comments and opinions welcome.
  • muran
    Just having a look at the second hand market for the Carrera Vulcan and there seems to be a few difference variations. All have disc brakes but I don't think I have seen two the same yet!

Anything in particular I should be looking for?
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    If you are going second hand, look for a carrera Kraken or Fury. They are better specced than the vulcan, but new ones are a bit out of your budget.Larger sizes tend to be cheaper as there is less of a market for them.
  • muran
    edited March 2012
    Thanks. Struggling to find anything above a 20" in the Kraken on eBay and in the local rag. Is this the largest this model goes upto? I'm 6"5 with a 34" inside leg. How does this translate, any ideas?

Edit: interesting, according to this guide from Halfords I need an 18-20" frame ?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Without trying is hard to say as one manufacturers 20" could be way different to anothers!
  • muran
    supersonic wrote:
    Without trying is hard to say as one manufacturers 20" could be way different to anothers!

Yep, thanks - see my edit above just as you posted :)

Actually a chap in the bike shop the other day told me this and it seemed far fetched. Guess he was right though.

Suppose I need to visit Halfords, try one for size, note the frame size and scour the second hand market. Do the sizes change between yearly models or will the same manufacturer be pretty consistent? Obviously the second hand market will be littered with previous years models.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They change massively - angles, top tube lengths, bottom bracket height, just cannot equate one to another without knowing ALL the specs! The listed size is just one tube measurement.
  • muran
    Ok, thanks. That basically rules out buying second hand online then unless it is one that I have already sized up in a shop (exactly the same one from the same year). Is that a fair conclusion to draw?
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    muran wrote:
    Ok, thanks. That basically rules out buying second hand online then unless it is one that I have already sized up in a shop (exactly the same one from the same year). Is that a fair conclusion to draw?
    Not necessarily... ask the seller how tall they are and how their bike fits them... and if necessary ask to see it. eBay lets you search within x miles of your location, which is pretty handy. You do see a fair few bikes sold by taller riders, so those would be worth a look. You can also tweak a bike that's 'about the right size' by moving the seat, buying a layback post, and changing the stem and bars... but of course that all costs some money and a £300 budget is tight. My GT cost me £330 including new stem, bars and pedals - and now it is spot-on for me... but I was a bit lucky, there.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • muran
    Thanks, that's encouraging. I have taken your advice and had mixed answers from those I've contacted. most tell me their size and that it fits them ok but none of them yet have been 6"5, more around the 6"2 mark. Still wondering if 20" will be big enough and. It seeing anything really over that size on the second hand eBay market.

Nice bike you got there for £330 - looking at the pics from your sig I'd be more than happy with something like that. I realise my budget is tight but as it's something I'm getting back into I can't afford to fork out mega money straight away for something that may or may not become a regular hobby / pastime.

Still hoping to bag something decent for the budget :-)
  • muran
    Quick update for you all...

Bought a second hand Kraken, thanks for your advice here. I honestly don't know a lot about what to look for but seems pretty good for the £150 I paid. Slight rumble from the back wheel when lifted and spinning so guessing bearings probably need greasing but I can live with that. Also getting ready for a new tyre, hence I was able to knock down the price from the original £175.

Any advice on what to do now (other than ride it)?
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    muran wrote:
    Quick update for you all...

Bought a second hand Kraken, thanks for your advice here. I honestly don't know a lot about what to look for but seems pretty good for the £150 I paid. Slight rumble from the back wheel when lifted and spinning so guessing bearings probably need greasing but I can live with that. Also getting ready for a new tyre, hence I was able to knock down the price from the original £175.

Any advice on what to do now (other than ride it)?

Id sort the wheel out first-it probably just needs grease, but it could be something more serious. It shouldnt be too expensive to fix either way.

With any spare cash, id probably change the cockpit items to parts that are the right shape/width/length for you + change any other bits you are not happy with.
    It should make a very good bike, especially for £150 ish.
  • muran
    Thanks, once I get the gears set up right and replace the front derailleur clamp bolt that I've stripped I'm hoping it should be fine. Will re grease the bearings but that's next week task!

Not into it as seriously as some of you guys and will only really use for trail riding but would still like it working as it should. Looking for a manual if anyone knows where to get one as I'm not sure I'm following the right procedure in setting up the gears.