Max speed...

FoldingJoe
FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
On my commute home last night I managed to hit 43.1mph, according to Garmin connect!! :shock: :D

Is there a way to find out, in Connect or Strava, where you achieved this?

Cheers,
FJ
Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    In Strava go to the ride and gt it to show speed on the graph. move your mouse along the graph to the point where you hit that speed and it will show a spot on the map. Unfortunately Strava does tend to show spikes in speed, I think Jzed hit 900mph at one point. At least 43 mph is possible, apologies if p'ing on your chips needlessly.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Veronese68 wrote:
    At least 43 mph is possible, apologies if p'ing on your chips needlessly.

Ought to be fairly obvious where. Without drafting you'd need a pretty steep descent to manage that unless you were truly awesome! And you'd probably know where it happened as well!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    It would have to be something special - I can't get over 40 on my Madone when in full commuting kit, there's just too much wind resistance (this is down the biggest hill in the area)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • It would have to be something special - I can't get over 40 on my Madone when in full commuting kit, there's just too much wind resistance (this is down the biggest hill in the area)

My max speed (so far) on the flat is 41.3mph. There was an element of wind assistance, though. :mrgreen:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I can hit 40+ on my last hill but it's very dependent on the wind. Headwind last night and I could barely hit 30mph :oops: It really shows up things like gearing, air density and tyre rolling resistance too. I really need an 11 on the rear to consistently hit 40+ - the V currently has a 12-25

Garmin connect graphs all of the speeds and you can track it in the player too. But, as others have said, you KNOW when you're doing 40 (unless it's a GPS blip which happen)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Yup, my cheapie wireless cycle computer (before I ripped it off the bike and jumped on it repeatedly in cleats) would regularly give me max speeds in the hundreds. Now even I don't believe in my legend to that extent.

With a nice, accurate cateye in it's place I have seen low forties down Malpas hill on the CX (steep) but that is with legs going like a blender - you know when you're hitting that sort of speed.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • veronese68
    I was trying to let him down gently.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ive hit 40mph down here

bleeding scary though as there is a mahoovsive junction at the bottom of the hill - my brakes were smelly too :shock:
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I wouldn't trust my iPhone that's for sure, Strava always seems to spike somewhere and give me a reading in the 40s.

Took an alpine pass for me to hit the 50s once; on a fully loaded bike :twisted:
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Have got into the 40's on the flat before now, albeit in close proximity to a rather large vehicle and into the 50s on this hill Doleham Hill close to where I grew up.

The hump back bridge in the middle is a beggar though, so's the hill that immediately follows this.
  • veronese68
    mudcow007 wrote:
    my brakes were smelly too :shock:
    Definitely the brakes?
  • mudcow007
    Veronese68 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    my brakes were smelly too :shock:
    Definitely the brakes?

to be fair i think it was a mixture of ass clenching an brake pads

i wonder how far you would slide if you came off at 40mph?!
  • FoldingJoe
    Yeah, i think it was definitely a realistic reading. There are a couple of points on the ride where this could have been achieved, but wasn't watching the speed to check!! ;)

I'm a big lad, so I guess it helps.

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Garmin Connect -> Player.

It is in there. You can get the graph to show speed and elevation so it should be fairly clear.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee
    daviesee wrote:
    Garmin Connect -> Player.

It is in there. You can get the graph to show speed and elevation (edit:- and a map) so it should be fairly clear.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    iPete wrote:
    Took an alpine pass for me to hit the 50s once; on a fully loaded bike :twisted:
    I managed ~48mph going down a huge hill in Scotland with a fully loaded bike. It was when I realised that the bike + me + panniers + gradient meant that my stopping distance could be measured in km that I shat myself.
  • FoldingJoe
    Looks like it was on the decent down the A227\Ightham Road, just before Shipbourne.

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I was going to ask a similar question. My Garmin reckons that my max speed during a 115 mile sportive at the weekend was 48.8mph! Yet when I look at the little graph thing that shows your speed through the ride, at no point does it reach much above 40.... So how come the registered max top speed is 48.8mph?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • mudcow007
    I was going to ask a similar question. My Garmin reckons that my max speed during a 115 mile sportive at the weekend was 48.8mph! Yet when I look at the little graph thing that shows your speed through the ride, at no point does it reach much above 40.... So how come the registered max top speed is 48.8mph?

if i go through a tunnel/ wooded area my Holux (gps) throws a hissy fit an reckons im either going ridiculously slow or speeds up to stupid readings, it can mess up averages badly
  • daviesee
    I got that once.
    When I analysed the route carefully I noticed that it occured at the cafe :?
    Conclusion - My bike hit 48mph when I was swinging it round to rest against the wall. Maybe :?:

Edit - And I hit an alleged 65mph when going through a tunnel in Mallorca. I'm fitting a magnet this year :wink:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I hit 46 on my very first ride out on the Madone down this one.

Bloody marvellous ride down and you're going so fecking fast you're halfway up the other side before you need to change gear. The only 'problem' is that it actually gets steeper right before the bottom and you're pretty much unsighted for the dip. Takes a bit of squeaky bum thinking to keep pedalling down that last bit.

It's a 50mph limit down there, so the cars don't overtake until you're climbing the other side. I've had some really great looks off drivers and passengers when they finally pass me :D

(actually I think the 1st time it was 44....)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    daviesee wrote:
    I got that once.
    When I analysed the route carefully I noticed that it occured at the cafe :?
    Conclusion - My bike hit 48mph when I was swinging it round to rest against the wall. Maybe :?:
    I think you just really wanted to get to the cake.
    daviesee wrote:
    Edit - And I hit an alleged 65mph when going through a tunnel in Mallorca. I'm fitting a magnet this year :wink:
    I have a speed/cadence sensor on my bike for my Garmin 800 and it *still* screws up max speeds.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    edited March 2012
    gbsahne wrote:
    Have got into the 40's on the flat before now, albeit in close proximity to a rather large vehicle and into the 50s on this hill Doleham Hill close to where I grew up.

The hump back bridge in the middle is a beggar though, so's the hill that immediately follows this.

Ah, Doleham. You and I must've grown up within a few miles of each other!

You can get a fair old rattle on coming down Battery Hill as well.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Is Max Speed related to Max Headroom?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    gbsahne wrote:

The other good one close by is Brede hill, coming from Brede, I grew up in Westfield, you?
  • Top speed I've reached on my commute is 34mph - which corresponds to a cadence of 166rpm. On a bike with a freewheel I've been a lot faster though.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    gbsahne wrote:
    gbsahne wrote:

The other good one close by is Brede hill, coming from Brede, I grew up in Westfield, you?

Icklesham. Home of the best pub in the world!
  • meanredspider
    notsoblue wrote:
    I have a speed/cadence sensor on my bike for my Garmin 800 and it *still* screws up max speeds.

Yup - I noticed this yesterday - humming along in a road through forest - cadence steady in the same gear and the Garmin indicated speed was up and down like a lady sex-worker's undergarments (18mph 1 second, 28 mph the next). And, yes, I have a functioning magnet attached.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    49.8MPH, but that was down Ditchling (towards Brighton). And I had a clear run. And no traffic. And not on a commute.

It was freewheeling though...
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • meanredspider
    BTW - loving all these comments about braking. Get discs on your road bike!

In fact, here's me doing 350mph (6 minutes in is my fast hill - 43mph in this instance) - you see me nudge the brakes a few times on the Cayo (rims). You'll see that there's also blind corners which is why I do it. On the V I don't

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnAIFf6ulTo