How many of you have the sense to...

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
... buy your kit out of season?

Not me that's for sure. At the approach of every feckin' change of season I realise I need new gear and then end up paying for it at top price. There are loads of great deals on winter kit right now, but I can't afford to buy it because I need new stuff for summer. Pah!

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

Not me that's for sure. At the approach of every feckin' change of season I realise I need new gear and then end up paying for it at top price. There are loads of great deals on winter kit right now, but I can't afford to buy it because I need new stuff for summer. Pah!

Need??...... :?
    (note - 'need' and 'want' have two different meanings! :lol: )
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Rolf F wrote:

Need??...... :?
    :lol:

Well one couldn't possibly wear last season's look this season, could one? :wink:

I suppose the problem for me is that I haven't been riding long enough to have built up a decent wardrobe of gear. Despite commuting solidly by bike for two years now, last summer was my first time in bib shorts so I only have crappy cheap ones. Last winter was my first time wearing tights so I only have crappy...

I should just buy myself two pairs of quality bib tights now, but alas...
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    You've just reminded me - I need to replace my winter tights.

Oh great! they're on offer, thanks! :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,326
    What is this sense of which you speak?
  • corshamjim
    corshamjim Posts: 234
    My birthday is at the beginning of the season, so this year I'm sorted with some appropriate attire.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Yeah, I buy my kit out of season.

Problem is I buy it in season too.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    was having to educate a colleague to the finer points of attire etiquette now he has a bright red allez.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    was having to educate a colleague to the finer points of attire etiquette now he has a bright red allez.

as long as he hasn't got bright red trousers.....(paging rick)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    PBo wrote:

as long as he hasn't got bright red trousers.....(paging rick)

Red trousers, red bike?

Strong look.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Rapha sample sales + jan sales (Castelli) and you're sorted all year, well for clothes at least.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.