weight training (again)

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited April 2012 in Health, fitness & training
hi guys and girls,

i was just wondering how i go ab out toning up, i don't want to get big - i've been there and done that when i used to play rugby. i'm currently in the process of losing weight (i've lost a stone in 2 months) and i want to tone up, do i just do lots of reps with lighter weights than my max?

cheers :D

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Pretty much and watch the food/drink intake, how toned do you want to get?

I used to do the gym etc and the lad I used to go with did competitions and he used eat nothing but chicken and fat free yogurt!!!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • welshkev
    yeah, i'm not into getting ripped like that, just a bit of definition so i don't just look big :lol:

like i said i used to play semi-pro rugby and got pretty big and toned but now i just want to get toned :D
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    if you want definition, then stick to the diet
    losing fat off the top of the muscles will give you plenty definition

the reality of "getting big" is that you need to eat a load of food to go with the training

if you do 3 days a week in the gym, whether its low weight/high rep or high weight/low rep, without the dietry support, you arent going to put much bulk on at all
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    Kev,

I found that when I was training to 'bulk up' a bit when I was a skinny whippet, it was about pushing bigger weights until you failed - hopefully with someone to 'spot' you for when it happens :-). Now I'm just trying to keep in shape (sort of) I just use some dumbells at home that are a fair bit lighter than what I used to use when trying to build a bit. I'm no expert but it seems to work for me.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • welshkev
    i should have clarified, i'm alredy quite a stocky guy - from my rugby days.

but i am noticing that as i'm slimming down i'm getting smaller bulk wise aswell so hopefully like has been said the definition will come with the weight loss, i currently do 3 rides a week and 2 weight training sessions a week :D
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    welshkev wrote:
    i currently do 3 rides a week and 2 weight training sessions a week :D
    That sounds plenty. Maybe the next step is to lay off the beer & kebabs? :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • smack148
    smack148 Posts: 37
    stay off the beer and kebabs?!? who'd want to lose weight that seriously? Beer is the breakfast of champions
  • welshkev
    beer and kababs is easy, it's the pizza and cider i can't avoid!! :lol:
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,499
    I use kettlebells for my resistance / strength training sessions and while they're a good way to keep your strength up, they won't put any bulk on you.
  • welshkev
    Singleton wrote:
    I use kettlebells for my resistance / strength training sessions and while they're a good way to keep your strength up, they won't put any bulk on you.

cheers mate, yeah, i use kettlebells as part of my training for shoulders and triceps as well as the ViPR things.
  • Try a body pump class. Basically aerobics with weights. Great for endurance and toning up.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Just stick to the diet, fat comes off, definition and toning will happen. Keep using as much weight as you can handle, the myths about high reps are just that, myths.

Bulking is going to involve getting a lot of calories in, whether you've been bigger before or not.