Drying Bibshorts

indysmith
indysmith Posts: 276
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
I took the plunge and got some Rapha Classics, and I want these to last me - they just seem to take ages to dry.
I want to get them as dry as possible, as quickly as possible without using the tumble dryer.

Do you guys hang them up by the shoulder straps? Is this likely to stretch them? Is it generally okay to leave wet bibs out in the sun? Do they tend to dry quicker inside out? Do you ring them out before drying?

Thanks

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    With regards to hanging on the washing line, I find that it is best to try and alternate the way you hang them so you avoid stretching and damaging the shoulders or legs.

Also hang them inside out as the chamois dries better, and the outside won't fade as quickly in the sun.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    I wash my best bibs (inc Rapha Classics) in a small wash bag like the one you get with Assos bibs, then hang them inside out over an indoor drying rack. I can wash them in the eve and they're ready in the morning.

On the subject of hanging them, bibs are pretty light, even when wet, so hanging them by the straps shouldn't stretch the material.

If you want your best bibs to last get some 'training' bibs.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    No elasticated fabrics in direct sunlight... conservatory yes, outdoor in direct sunlight, no... shade, yes
    left the forum March 2023
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Radiator or airing cupboard sorted. WFT you never washed clothes before ? Oh it's Rapha...
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    indysmith wrote:
    I took the plunge and got some Rapha Classics, and I want these to last me

I find the best way to make something last is to buy at least 2 of them.
  • Amoger
    Amoger Posts: 46
    Rinse mine out in the shower after a ride, then hang them off shower door, dry by the next morning. Got in the habit from running to wash clothes in shower, washing machine would be permanently on otherwise.
  • To get most of the water out, lay them on a towel, roll the towel up and wring it. They should then be dry enough to hang up without stretching them too much.
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    wash after every ride - then spin and a mild drying session - leave to air dry - but have 3 sets on the go in rotation anyway, so not a problem

alarmed by the stretching of straps by hanging - good god - what crap stuff have you got that this happens to? do tell so I can avoid buying is - my Giordana/Campag and Craft stuff (craft v impressive) never has this issue
  • I have a Dri buddy at home and work, one of my better cycle related investments. Brillant to dry off wet clothes ready for the ride home.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I have a Dri buddy at home and work.

Your wife goes to work with you :shock:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,247
    Probably dry by now, bot.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    ride

take off

put in washing machine

hang on line

job jobbed
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    edited May 2021
    I use the quick sports wash on my washing machine which has a gentle spin, so I give them an extra rinse and full-speed spin cycle after the wash cycle finishes to get as much water out as poss. Then hang on clothes rack near (but not actually in contact with) the radiator (say about a foot away). In winter (when radiator is on) they will be dry by the morning. In summer a little longer, but I always have two pairs I rotate so it's never an issue.

If you are out every day or even every other day then it can be a little uneconomical to use the washing machine every time, but at the same time you don't want to leave them sweaty for any length of time (sweat is bad for the pad material). Solution is to quickly rinse in the sink in cold water and hang in the shower to drip dry, then put in washing machine with the next lot in due course (but always wash properly before wearing again!!!)
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I just chuck them in the laundry basket until there is enough for a load to wash. I can’t say that do this has effected the pads as I have pairs of shorts that are more than five years old and the pads are fine.
    As for hanging them on the washing line, if this knackers the shoulder straps what does wearing them for several hours do to the straps.
    I thinking folk are over thinking things here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,247
    OP hasn't been active for 6 years, so either problem solved or he's been arrested because the straps fell down and he accidentally exposed himself.
  • neeb
    webboo said:

I just chuck them in the laundry basket until there is enough for a load to wash. I can’t say that do this has effected the pads as I have pairs of shorts that are more than five years old and the pads are fine.

Probably depends on the specific pad material and the acidity/whatever of your sweat. Besides, those pads soak up a lot of it, it's nicer not to have that whiffing for days! :)
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566

OP hasn't been active for 6 years, so either problem solved or he's been arrested because the straps fell down and he accidentally exposed himself.

I get the impression "zoefoster" was just doing a bit of advertising with the link.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    neeb said:

webboo said:

Probably depends on the specific pad material and the acidity/whatever of your sweat. Besides, those pads soak up a lot of it, it's nicer not to have that whiffing for days! :)
    If your sweat is that wiffy you might need to get that checked out as I gave the shorts worn yesterday and thrown in the laundry basket a quick sniff and they smell of Ariel all in one pods. ;)
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    edited May 2021
    I wash mine inside out at 30c with Halo sports wash, then either dry inside out on a radiator, in a dri buddy (For that awkward period when it's not warm enough outside, but too warm for the heating to come on) or outside on the line if it's warm and sunny enough.

Never had any issues caused by drying in direct sunlight, as after all we ride with them on in direct sunlight (When we can), and I've been doing this for some 14 years with no problems.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • neeb
    edited May 2021
    daniel_b said:

Never had any issues caused by drying in direct sunlight, as after all we ride with them on in direct sunlight (When we can), and I've been doing this for some 14 years with no problems.

For the business end of the pad at least, only when out of the saddle and riding north on a sunny day! :)

Must admit that comprises a rather tiny percentage of my total riding..

If the sun shines out of your ar*se however your shorts may have a shorter life.. :D:D

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    What a bizarre post. You're buying something that generally takes a fair share of abuse just wearing it on the bike and you're worried about how to wash and dry it? Throw it in the washer with any load of clothes. it's just a piece of clothing, not a silk tuxedo. You sweat in it, it gets rained on, it gets dirty, and you most likely use some sort of chamois butter. Yet you seem worried that it's fragile??????
  • MattFalle
    dennisn said:

What a bizarre post. You're buying something that generally takes a fair share of abuse just wearing it on the bike and you're worried about how to wash and dry it? Throw it in the washer with any load of clothes. it's just a piece of clothing, not a silk tuxedo. You sweat in it, it gets rained on, it gets dirty, and you most likely use some sort of chamois butter. Yet you seem worried that it's fragile??????

this.

its a pair of shorts.

wear

put in washing machine

hang on line

they don't need this or that or the Martin Fandangobollocks above - its a pair of spandex shorts.
  • neeb
    I've just bought a couple of pairs of new assos S9 RSRs and they are **** expensive pairs of spandex, however...

Depends how long you want them to last. I seem to get through mine at about the same rate that assos bring out new pads (S5, S7, S9). It's the pads that can suffer eventually if you don't treat them well. The thing is, you don't notice it until you buy new ones, because it happens very gradually. You will think they are fine until you compare them with a new pair, when it will be obvious that the pad isn't as thick and springy as it used to be and the new pair is much more comfortable.

Follow the washing instructions, keep them away from bleach, direct sunlight and fermenting sweat and the pads will be happier for longer.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    Meh, I've got shorts from 2011 that are just as comfortable as new ones were last year after a month of use. The 2011 ones are still my "go to" shorts.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    pblakeney said:

Meh, I've got shorts from 2011 that are just as comfortable as new ones were last year after a month of use. The 2011 ones are still my "go to" shorts.

this entirely.

just wash them
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    What a crazy thread and crazy resurrection.
    Would a laundry thread not be more suited to Mumsnet?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    OP hasn't been on since August 2015.
    Maybe he's too busy on Mumsnet.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • neeb
    pblakeney said:

Maybe you destroyed the new ones within a month.. :D:D

Seriously, this is one of those pointless debates because there's a sliding scale and no definitive correct answers. If you wash your shorts every day at 60C in bleach you will definitely destroy them pretty quickly, but obviously hanging them up by the shoulder straps isn't going to do them the slightest harm.. In-between it will depend on your personal circumstances and how long you want the shorts to last.
  • MattFalle

What a crazy thread and crazy resurrection.
    Would a laundry thread not be more suited to Mumsnet?

Can't - been banned.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited May 2021
    Ask Cleat to set one up for you