If you don't think the gap is wide enough......

frankspencer1979
frankspencer1979 Posts: 525
edited April 2012 in MTB general
If, every time you go through a narrow gap, you think to yourself "I'm gonna tw@t that one day!"..... Then you probably will.

Just clipped a gate post on my way home from work. Got several minor injuries and one set of snapped bars. (I loved them bars :cry: )

If it looks too narrow, one day it will be!

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    poidh!

+ snapped potato
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    snapped bars? holy cow you must have hit that post hard. how did you not decimate your hand? :shock:
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Carbon? Alloy? Jesus :O
  • YeehaaMcgee
    bars made of jesus? AWESOME!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    bars made of jesus? AWESOME!
    Yes, to be gripped onto during scary descent while the user crys and prays!
  • bars made of jesus? AWESOME!
    Yes, to be gripped onto during scary descent while the user crys and prays!
    They snapped because they're a bit too holy though.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I shouldn't replace them though, just bury them next weekend and you'll soon find them back on the bike, working better than ever.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    I shouldn't replace them though, just bury them next weekend and you'll soon find them back on the bike, working better than ever.

:lol:
  • frankspencer1979
    frankspencer1979 Posts: 525
    edited April 2012

I wish I could think of a comical reply to this, but I'm risking being offensive! At least they'd come back anD heal my wounds "you shall arise and walk without limping like a girl!"

IMAG0157.jpg

They should be bullet proof. They're not gate proof. :shock:

I've been round trail centres, out in the middle of nowhere, but where do I crash!? On the ride home from work, it's less than a mile!! :roll: Managed to ride home though, braking whilst the grip/brake lever is not connected to anything is a little weird.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Being a non religionist, I have to say, I don't believe this hokey story.
    No doubt others will though, and will talk abot it for thousands of years to come.
  • How about if I write it out in a big book and read sections of it to you every sunday when you should be at home doing something more interesting?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    How about if I write it out in a big book and read sections of it to you every sunday when you should be at home doing something more interesting?
    Meh. I'm single, and don't really drink, so most Sunday mornings I phone my hungover friends early asking if they want to come out and play, just to annoy them.
    So I guess your reading me your story in chunks is for the good of humanity after all.

Oh wow, is this how religion started?
  • So, I figured the obvious thing to do after being caught out by having wider bars than I'm used to is to fit even wider ones! I first went from the original 680mm bars to the 710mm Ragley Wisers (which are sadly no longer with us) to these shiny new Nukeproof Warheads at 760mm.....

IMAG0176.jpg

IMAG0175.jpg

Had a quick ride and they do feel a little alien, but I want to give them a proper test before chopping them down. Off round Gisburn on Friday, so may have a few close calls with some trees, and some XC on Saturday. Still got a dodgy ankle after the crash though, bit of a nasty wound in the end.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    the 780 ones from Superstar are where it's at :) I can barely fit through a barn door.
  • Slow Loris
    Slow Loris Posts: 128
    bit of a nasty wound in the end.

Fnar.
    2011 Genesis Latitude
    2009 GT Transeo 3.0
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    bit of gaffer tape and a wrap or 2 of ducktape and they will be fine..

or see if ragley will warrenty replace them. seem though they broke on the commute,,
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    At 760mm there is only one place you may catch your bars at Gisburn, two trees on bottom loop are a bit narrow (you know which ones) but you can get through without touching but its close (at speed).
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    How did you not decimate your hand? :shock:

Strictly speaking that would be only one finger, looking at the rest of the pictures I'd expect more than 50% casualties. Don't you need to hit both ends for the bars to break?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    Good luck missing the fence post with all that 760mm.
    Many happy trails!
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    1mancity2 wrote:
    At 760mm there is only one place you may catch your bars at Gisburn, two trees on bottom loop are a bit narrow (you know which ones) but you can get through without touching but its close (at speed).

LOL... I know that one.... I think we might have a case of deja vu next week :lol:
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • 1mancity2 wrote:

I know where you mean, I'll be taking it extra easy through there. Rode to work today, practically got off and pushed through the gate of doom just to be safe! Gonna see what the wide bars are like on the rough stuff, but have a feeling I'll lop some off next week sometime.
    Giraffoto wrote:
    How did you not decimate your hand? :shock:

Strictly speaking that would be only one finger, looking at the rest of the pictures I'd expect more than 50% casualties. Don't you need to hit both ends for the bars to break?

I clipped the post (metal gate post) by only the tiniest amount on one side, and am lucky I didn't catch my hand; I was going quick and that was enough to snap the end off. Carbon just shatters under sudden impact; I kinda knew that already, but am surprised this was enough.