Good Samaritan

random man
random man Posts: 1,518
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
Coming back from a ride to the Vale of Belvoir with Frank the Tank today, got to Calverton after 70 beautiful miles and my chain snaps, breaking the rear mech.
After messing with the bike for a while a chap from a nearby house offered to give me and my bike a lift home, about 8 miles. I accepted and was extremely grateful to him, and he refused any money for petrol or his time.

I have found that people generally are helpful to cyclists in trouble and it restores your faith in human nature.

Comments

• Good for you. I can recall several incidences that stick in my mind where very kind people have helped me out in a bind, cyclist and non-cyclist alike. As you say, renewed faith in humanity and all that :)
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Random man, I live in Newark on Trent, but grew up in the Vale (de void of) Belvoir. I ve always enjoyed Franks posts on here (suprised he isnt alway dragging you to 1 North Parade Grantham) if hes in this neck of the woods,
    If this a regualr chain gang and you dont average more than 17 mph, I d love to join you some time if thats not being a bit too presumptive.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Its good to hear a story like this now and again, makes up for the morons i encounter daily on my commute.

PS. I will drop you all on Terrace Hill if there's a get together!* :wink:

*Ok, ill catch you on the descent :oops:
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Good to hear and in general the public do tend to look after us well(much as we think they are all out to run us over)
    We had a crash on a club run last summer and the injured rider was taken in by a nearby farmer and cleaned and patched up.
  • tim_wand
    Terrace Hill, Simon Warren only puts it in there through a sense of nostalgia, I dont even drop out of 53/11 for it, Theres better in the vale, Plus I have mates who own pubs in at least 3 local villages so you can drop me there.
  • random man
    tim wand wrote:
    Random man, I live in Newark on Trent, but grew up in the Vale (de void of) Belvoir. I ve always enjoyed Franks posts on here (suprised he isnt alway dragging you to 1 North Parade Grantham) if hes in this neck of the woods,
    If this a regualr chain gang and you dont average more than 17 mph, I d love to join you some time if thats not being a bit too presumptive.

It's definitely not a regular chain gang Tim but it's a good idea to arrange a meeting sometime for any Cake stoppers in the area (but I need to fix my bike first :oops: )
  • tim_wand
    Im trying to avoid the Cheesecake shop on Mapperly Plains, their bread and butter pudding reeks havoc on my already poor hill climbing capacity, but I do like to drop into Langdale Lightweights for a drool every now and then.

With the sun shining though I do find the Vale hard to beat and I d have the advantage that you and Frank would have some 20 miles in your legs compared to my 10 by the time you got there.

I skirt the Trent to get over to Lowdham and then either head upto Lambley, Calvo, Woodboro then back through Haywood Oaks, Blidworth, Farnsfield Southwell et al. or stay my side of the River and into the Vale.

Looks like LL has jumped on too, so once the bikes fixed could be good to try and sort something via PM.

I d just love to take Frank into Grantham (although unless you skirt the canal out of the vale the ridings pretty dull)
  • random man
    tim wand wrote:

I skirt the Trent to get over to Lowdham and then either head upto Lambley, Calvo, Woodboro then back through Haywood Oaks, Blidworth, Farnsfield Southwell et al. or stay my side of the River and into the Vale.

Looks like LL has jumped on too, so once the bikes fixed could be good to try and sort something via PM.

I d just love to take Frank into Grantham (although unless you skirt the canal out of the vale the ridings pretty dull)

I'd be surprised if our paths haven't crossed somewhere Tim, we'll be in touch.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I feel it only right at this juncture to draw your attention to the first part of my signature, it's not a joke it's a fact. :(
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I feel it only right at this juncture to draw your attention to the first part of my signature, it's not a joke it's a fact. :(

Yes but the second part of your signature may invalidate the first part. Thus you are extremely quick, especially in the hills and usually ride off the front like Cancellara on crack.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I like your reasoning and you're welcome to believe it. The truth will out. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.