E-Bike Speed Limits?!

Ghostt
Ghostt Posts: 192
edited March 2012 in MTB general
So Specialized have released an E-Bike with a top assisted speed of 45km/h (28mph in old money) which is apparently illegally quick, even in Britain. Ummm...I don't know about you guys but I regular exceed this speed on the road on a good old fashioned pedal bike. Could someone kindly explain to what the feck is going on? (and yes I am aware it's probably the EU's fault. And Wiggle's)

Here's the bike if you were wondering by the way: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/v ... ike-33568/ (It's more a commuter thing though so I wouldn't bother)
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I think the simple reasoning behind it is that you need to have some kind of licence-system for something that can go that fast. On the continent you get so called 'EU mopeds' and even cars, which are limited to about 30kph, but, in most countries at least, require a provisional drivers-licence and sometimes a CBT-type training. Then are some local variations too. So, the EU has guidelines, but the UK could probably allow them if they wanted.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Since you can achieve more than this with pedal power anyway, what is the point of that law? Surely we should be being encouraged to use greener methods of transport rather than put off them?

N.B the above is only because im too lazy to pedal, not because i care about the environment.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I think the law specifically applies to motorised transport.
  • bennett_346
    Yeah, precisely. If i can go just as fast without an electric motor, why is it inherently more dangerous to go the same speed with one?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Yeah, precisely. If i can go just as fast without an electric motor, why is it inherently more dangerous to go the same speed with one?
    It isn't. But the law (probably) only applies to motorised vehicles.
  • bennett_346
    I wish! I'd have one tomorrow if was the case. However
    * Under a 2004 European Directive, electric bikes are allowed a maximum assisted speed of 25km/h (15.6mph).
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    hmmmm didn't know about the speed limit... does this mean doing 50mph down the main road on a bike, which is a 30 zone is like driving at that speed? :lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I wish! I'd have one tomorrow if was the case. However
    * Under a 2004 European Directive, electric bikes are allowed a maximum assisted speed of 25km/h (15.6mph).
    And, and electric bike, is a motorised bike. So my assumptions were bang on the mark.
  • bennett_346
    lawman wrote:
    hmmmm didn't know about the speed limit... does this mean doing 50mph down the main road on a bike, which is a 30 zone is like driving at that speed? :lol:
    :lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    lawman wrote:
    Are you asking if you can be done for speeding, if you're clocked doing 50 in a 30 zone, on a pushbike? If so, the answer is yes.
    But, it sounds like motorised, unlicensed vehicles must be restricted to 25Kph
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That is even uglier than an Orange 5
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Oo I didn't think you could get done for speeding on a pedal cycle... you can't get points anyway I know that :lol:

Can't remember which forum it is with a plod, think there is one on the roadie section but he threatened to hunt me down via my isp and put me in jail a few years ago :lol::lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Oo I didn't think you could get done for speeding on a pedal cycle... you can't get points anyway I know that :lol:

Can't remember which forum it is with a plod, think there is one on the roadie section but he threatened to hunt me down via my isp and put me in jail a few years ago :lol::lol:
    As far as I understand it, you can't get points, and it's not the same fine as speeding in a car - but you can get done for reckless control of a vehicle, or somesuch.
  • Oo I didn't think you could get done for speeding on a pedal cycle... you can't get points anyway I know that :lol:

As far as I understand it, you can't get points, and it's not the same fine as speeding in a car - but you can get done for reckless control of a vehicle, or somesuch.
    That would make sense... I wonder if you can you get done for being drunk on a pedal bike? I know you can't be done for being pissed on a horse.
  • bennett_346
    Oo I didn't think you could get done for speeding on a pedal cycle... you can't get points anyway I know that :lol:

That would make sense... I wonder if you can you get done for being drunk on a pedal bike? I know you can't be done for being pissed on a horse.
    You can indirectly, if you're swerving in and out of traffic you'd be done for reckless behaviour on a public highway.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Yep. My father was fined for speeding and being very drunk in charge of a bicycle, many years ago. His mates said he would have got off with a caution, but he started arguing with the copper, so... :lol:
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    You cannot be done for speeding on a bike, so exceeding a posted speed limit is not an offence in itself, although it is possible that you could be prosecuted for careless, reckless or dangerous cycling.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'