Avid Elixir Spacer

gloomyandy
gloomyandy Posts: 520
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
As recent returnee to the biking world, disc brakes are all rather new to me, so please take pity!

A month or so ago I picked up an On-One Inbred 29er from Planet-X, it has fixed forks and I intend to use it mainly as a touring/expedition bike. The bike was an ex show room model so came "as is" with no instructions or other stuff. In particular I do not have the spacers for the Elixir 3 brakes which seem to be needed for some setup work/bleeding etc. Can you actually buy these things? I've tried searching and various lbs with no joy so far. Do I actually need them? Or do I just need some sort of plastic that is the correct width (in which case can anyone tell me what that width needs to be)?

Thanks

Andy

Comments

• i too don't have any spacers, but i used (only the other day) two 1 pence coins and a little bit of stiky tape to keep them together and wedge them into the caliper. their not too tight but tight enough not to fall out.
    only time i have seen the spacers is with the complete bleed kit.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I got the spacers with my bike. But that doesn't help you at all.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited March 2012
    You will get travel spacers (to wedge in while traveling with he wheels out) with most new bikes, to bleed it you need the spacer that fits in with the pads out, this usually only comes with a bleed kit (as it's pointless having it unless you are bleeding the brakes!)

Travel spacer is in the second post down
    http://www.southerndownhill.com/forum/i ... c=240097.0

The piston spacers for bleeding is much wider and parallel sided.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gloomyandy
    gloomyandy Posts: 520
    Thanks for the replies. So there are actually two types of spacers? Are they different sizes and shapes?

Andy
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    The pad spacer and bleed block is the same thing, you just insert it the other way round.