Cheap yellow rainwear

allen-uk
allen-uk Posts: 146
edited June 2012 in Commuting general
Hello.

I've got an Altura Night Vision jacket (i.e. the usual commuters' uniform) which is fine, but a bit heavy now the weather is getting warmer.

What I'd like is a cheap yellow cagoule-type garment, something that'll keep the rain off, but which I can stuff in a pocket, and which won't be the typical inflated price that 'bike' wear often is...

Ideas gratefully welcomed.

Allen.

Comments

• shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    I'd suggest a trip to to Decathlon
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    I've got a cheapo one from Mountain Warehouse. Probably not that much lighter than the Altura though.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • beancounter
    beancounter Posts: 369
    Montane Featherlite.

bc
    2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • allen-uk
    Well, I couldn't find anything in 'bike' wear, not over 2xl anyway, and not in a sensible price range. As soon as you stick 'cycle' onto anything, the price quadruples. (A bit like 'computer').

So I rethought what I needed, and went for a high vis vest instead - okay, doesn't keep the rain off, but it is bright yellow so does that part of the job - and incredibly cheap. If you Google Images "high vis vest" you get hundreds of replies, and they start from about £2.99! (Not a misprint).

The pukka jackets would be too hot, but the vests are okay, and come in sizes up to 'hefty' (4, 5xl!).

Allen.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Can't compete with £2.99 but I am pleased with my Craft jacket - like this one > http://www.probikekit.com/uk/clothing/c ... acket.html

Available for £37 from eBay.

I guess expensive for what is it but I don't quite know how cheap something would need to be for you not to find it expensive.
  • allen-uk
    edited June 2012
    Well, my Altura Night Vision (see first post) was about sixty quid, which I thought was dear, but it's a good product. I do object to paying over the odds for things just because they are 'cycle' clobber. And the probikekit ones only go up to 2xl, which is usually way too small for a large rugby-player-build type like me (i.e. fat).

A
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    I definitely agree with you that if you add the "cycling" tag onto something the price gets a hike. I find it out that the increase in cycling widely report, particularly in London, seems to led to a rise in prices. I would have thought the more popular something is the greater opportunities for economies of scale.

Like you though, I am pleased with my Craft jacket, although I do feel it's expensive for what it is. My wife has something like this > http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/biz/p ... 1e0a315f31 and wears her "normal" waterproofs.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    not a cagoule but shower proof and breathable.
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/louis-garneau/tortosa-long-sleeve-jersey-ec029778

rolls up pretty small too.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • allen-uk
    Thanks tomo - and one of the reviewers says that it comes up BIGGER than he'd expected, which is a first! Looks the part - I'll pop round to my local Evans and check the size business.

A.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    not sure they'll have in store to check sizes, I web ordered to store collect - you can always order two sizes and try on and return one on collection. They don't come up Italian size fitting, you won't need to order 2 sizes too large.

I'm 5 11 80kg and 40" chest and got a large and it fits well in a relaxed fit sort of way, its not skin tight. It guess I could have got away with a medium with a more skin tight fit, but I'm not really a skin tight sort of guy, happy to sacrifce soe aerodynamics to make the beer belly more presentable.

I also got some LG bibs at the same time in Large which fit perfectly and are excellent.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Good spot Tomo - although there is of course a distinction between water repellent and waterproof.

In the packable area Evans still have the Mavic Helium at half price although as it's French you need to size up.
    I recently bought a Polaris Aqualite which is adequate - it packs small enough and keeps the rain off but it's a bit boil-in-the-bag. IIRC it was £33 from JE James. The 2012 version is hi-viz orange and has an RRP of £40.

Endura Pakajak is also widely avaialble in a range of sizes and colours for £40.