Time to replace gears?

tank121
tank121 Posts: 201
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've had my Giant Terrago trail now since 2007 and during the first 2 years had very little use. I'm now trying to do 20+ miles per week.

Every few months I have to take it to my LBS to get the gears adjusted, are the components likely to be prone to wear after 5 years and hence not shift as smooth as they once did?

FRONT MECH Shimano Deore
REAR MECH Shimano Deore

I've already change the brakes and forks.

Does anyone live close to Poynton in Cheshire who knows there stuff and would mind giving it a quick once over?
Will to pay small fee if needed if you have to travel.

I'm no good with mechanics/my hands and don't want to waste my money.

Thanks guys&gals

Wayne

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Read the Parktools website and do some of it yourself. Save a fortune and it's not that hard.
    As a rule mechs will last ages, but cables make all the difference and might only last a few months.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I'm no expert but it's worth having your deraillieur hanger changed or reset . I've had mine reset at the local shop . Cost me a tenner but to be honest I don't think they're that expensive to replace . This is only a guess 'cos as I said I'm no expert .
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why would you want to do that? - only replace (or straighten, but I wouldn't bother to do that) if bent, which will show up as a difficulty indexing.
    Most indexing issues are caused by cruddy cables though.
    Bikes need fettling and fiddling and adjusting and cleaning and lubing etc regularly. Do it and things work well and last a long time. You don't really need an LBS do index gears or replace cables.
    Just have a go, nothing much can go disasterously wrong with a bit of routine maintenance.
    Have a bit of a read through here first http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools