Topeak Dynapack?

u33db
u33db Posts: 68
edited March 2012 in Commuting general
Hi,

I'm going to try commuting to my new job next week.

I'll need to carry a change of clothes and some lunch so will need to use luggage but i don't want a rucksack as i'll sweat like a pig with it on. I also don't want a rack (pannier or beam).

So i was looking at the Top Peak Dynapack DX;

http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/DynaPackDX_raincover

It looks big enought for my needs, weighs in at only 700g and is only £60 ish.

The neat thing is it also unclips so the bike looks "normal" when not commuting.

Have any of you sued one of these before and what are your opinions?

I have read some reports that the mount may be a bit flimsy but i'll be doing road work so it shouldn't be under to much strain? There aren't many of these reports so maybe this one review had a bad experinces/faulty item...

Opinions appreciated!

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Mrs T has one of the smaller ones on her Ridgeback hybrid. It's solid, well made as you would expect from Topeak. This one is only 16cms high (not big enough for a commute) and needs about 15 cms of seat tube, or it will hit the underside of the saddle or touch the wheel, allow for a couple of cms bounce as the frame does flex. The larger one will need quite a bit of seat tube showing, so this is the bit you need to be sure about.

I use a Pletscher beam rack which takes about 8kgs of weight has a bungee and a built in toolbox, cool. This solution means you can use different size bags on different days.

Disclaimer: if you buy anything based on my recommendation don't complain or come running to me about it, unless you are very very good at running or fancy a holiday in the sun!
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • u33db
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Yes the mount concerns me but its only 8quid for a new one if it breaks - plus i could always run some velcro under the top strap and round the seat rails (triangulate it if you get me).

I'd only have shirt/trousers and maybe my lunch in it so maybe i'm worrying unnecessarily.

I did look at beam racks as they'd defiantely be more secure but they add another kg or so to the bike weight.

Maybe thats not much in the grand scheme of it though!
  • u33db
    Right after thinking about i went for the Topeak beam rack plus DXP bag.

Enough for 22litres/9kg of capacity which is enough for me!

Figured that an extra 1kg of weight wasn't going to make that much difference and it'll last.

Should be delivered next week.