Middle crank ring noise (new Shimano SLX)

hunta
hunta Posts: 35
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I get a tinkling noise from down below (!) when I'm on the middle front ring (Shimano M552 24/32/42 crankset with Shimano SLX derailleur) irrespective of which ring I'm on at the back. It's quiet on large and granny rings (except at extremes on the back, which I'd expect).

This is on a brand new Trance X2, so wear unlikely to be a cause. I can't see anything obvious like derailleur touching the chain.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• tommy-leg
    tommy-leg Posts: 48
    i have this sound and was wondering exctly ythe same thing!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    hunta wrote:
    I get a tinkling noise from down below (!) when I'm on the middle front ring (Shimano M552 24/32/42 crankset with Shimano SLX derailleur) irrespective of which ring I'm on at the back. It's quiet on large and granny rings (except at extremes on the back, which I'd expect).

This is on a brand new Trance X2, so wear unlikely to be a cause. I can't see anything obvious like derailleur touching the chain.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Taking the p1ss?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Its obviously your crank arm catching on the front mech cable (maybe)
  • hunta
    styxd wrote:
    Its obviously your crank arm catching on the front mech cable (maybe)
    That would be once per revolution wouldn't it, rather than constant?
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Yes.

I guess its your chain catching the front mech then?
  • hunta
    That is what it sounds like, but looks like it's clear.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I think you need to discribe the noise better.
  • hunta
    I think you need to discribe the noise better.
    Constant tinkle / light clatter, doesn't vary throughout the crank cycle, nothing dramatic or loud, just background and annoying. Not really sure what else to add...
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It really does sound as if it's just on one gear the cable is at a position to be rubbing the chain and/or the rings.

Try being in the middle with it happening and push the bottom lever on the shifter a little (so it does not click into place for the big cog) as that will change the cable angle. It the mech set to bottom pull?