C02 cartridges - whats it all about?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
looking at getting my self a C02 inflator as im fed up of pumping my tyres up with my tiny Topeak thing only to get it to about 30psi...

so i was going to buy one of them there Topeak C02-Bra things (because i giggled at the name)

will a 16g cartridge fill my 700 x 28 Marathon +'s up though??

what do you all use?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I've got one of these:
    alloy_drive_co2_l.png
    http://www.lezyne.com/co2-systems#panel-4

I used it for the first time about a fortnight ago and it did a good job of getting my tyre inflated in just a few seconds. Must have been about 80psi. Make sure you wear gloves if you use one like this because it freezes the valve :)
  • notsoblue
    Oh, forgot to mention, its pretty tiny. I carry it with two spare cartridges, tyre levers and a tiny Condor multi tool and it all fits in one of my jersey pockets.
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    Why use CO2 when air is free?

What you need is a better pump, and the willingness/ arms to get that thing up to 80psi on your own. Its never that hard with a decent pump.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Because CO2 is a heck of a lot quicker, and excess arm muscles slow you down on the hills =P
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • notsoblue
    Convenience? I've never used a pump small enough to fit into a camelback or discretely onto the frame that would get a tyre up to pressure in under 5-10 mins.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'm in the air is free camp but can see it being useful during an endurance race. You don't need much psi to get yourself home on the commute.
  • mudcow007
    ive already got a Topeak mini master blaster, which pumps on both strokes *oow err*

but the valve has always been dodgy so you have to dismantle it an rebuild every time you want to use it

will a 16g cartridge fill my tyre though?
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    According to the chart on this website

http://www.genuineinnovations.com/co2-r ... one-2.html

It should be good for 88psi
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • mudcow007
    Jez mon wrote:
    According to the chart on this website

http://www.genuineinnovations.com/co2-r ... one-2.html

It should be good for 88psi

cheers ears
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    They protect against punctures. I bought a couple last August to replace the frame pump and haven't had a puncture since if you discount one leaving the office (full kit kept there) and one as I rolled onto the drive at home. They're very good. Also equally effective as tiger repellants.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778

What you need is a better pump, and the willingness/ arms to get that thing up to 80psi on your own. Its never that hard with a decent pump.

Time isn't free though is it.. Co2 pump and you're up and rolling in a quick blast

Just remember empty it when you get yourself to a track pump then inflate properly
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    I had the CO2BRA but have not taken it with me since it left me stranded on a training ride around new year. Just couldn't get my tyre inflated. It would work for a bit, then freeze (letting all of the air out of the tyre again) and I eventually ran out of cartridges (I only had two with me).

Since that I've bought the Lezyne mini-pump thing which is lighter, works and is really nicely made.

Plus I don't have to shell out for the cartridges any more.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have the lezyne one, works in a jiffy. Only thing is that the valve on the pump can freeze to the valve on the tyre so take care getting it off.

Would far sooner be on the road again in 2 secs. You ain't gonna puncture on a glorious road in lovely sunshine. Its gonna be pissing it down, dark and cold.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    It's time for my standard post on this topic. If you buy your Co2 from anywhere other than here: http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=240&category=2 then you're an idiot.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've been carrying the same two cartridges for months and months now. I use the Innovations Nano inflator (plastic outer so no freezing issues) and it's perfect. It's all about speed and convenience - 5 secs vs 5 mins with a micro pump. The cost is immaterial because I use so few. My guess is that I'd have spent more on a decent pump in 3 (5?) years than I've spent on CO2.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I have used mine once when something put a slice in my rear krylion just as I came out of the blackfriars underpass late last year, wouldn't be without one and I still got to work in plenty of time.
  • se-po
    se-po Posts: 47
    whip-cream-maker.jpg
    Used mine a couple of times, plenty of fun with my friends.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    notsoblue wrote:
    I've got one of these:
    alloy_drive_co2_l.png
    http://www.lezyne.com/co2-systems#panel-4

I used it for the first time about a fortnight ago and it did a good job of getting my tyre inflated in just a few seconds. Must have been about 80psi. Make sure you wear gloves if you use one like this because it freezes the valve :)
    :mrgreen:

+1, have the same, yet to use it though.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    It's time for my standard post on this topic. If you buy your Co2 from anywhere other than here: http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=240&category=2 then you're an idiot.

+1. And their £6.98-including-two-cartridges inflator works like a charm too.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    mudcow007 wrote:
    looking at getting my self a C02 inflator as im fed up of pumping my tyres up with my tiny Topeak thing only to get it to about 30psi...

so i was going to buy one of them there Topeak C02-Bra things (because i giggled at the name)

will a 16g cartridge fill my 700 x 28 Marathon +'s up though??

what do you all use?

You've bought a crap Topeak product so your solution is to try another Topeak product! Topeak must love you! :lol:

Seriously, whatever happens you need a decent mini pump for when the CO2 lets you down so get a Leyzne mini pump and then think about the CO2.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • meanredspider
    Rolf F wrote:
    so get a Leyzne mini pump and then think about the CO2.

...so you can unscrew the valve from the stem after you've spent all that effort and time pumping the tyre up :wink:

I carry an airstick but only so put air in the tyre to help fit it or find the hole (and hence the cause)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:

...so you can unscrew the valve from the stem after you've spent all that effort and time pumping the tyre up :wink:

I have no idea how you would manage that! I must be doing it wrongly :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Do you preload the tool, or leave the cartridges out until required? Does the gas slowly leak if you preload?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    In the Leyzene pump you can put a cartridge in 'the wrong way round' with the valve pointing downwards and still screw it all together, so no need to pre-load.

My cartridges are threaded, so they screw into the pump, then screw the handle over the top, then pushing the nozzle in acts as a trigger to release air.
  • meanredspider
    I still think the Innovations Nano is perfect. It screws onto the top of the cartridge so takes no more room up attached or not. You screw the cartridge in fully, which punctures it, then you unscrew the cartridge slightly to allow the gas to flow. Screw it back up to stop. The device itself is plastic covered so no freezing issues though the cartridge gets cold. It's all very neat though
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I still think the Innovations Nano is perfect. It screws onto the top of the cartridge so takes no more room up attached or not. You screw the cartridge in fully, which punctures it, then you unscrew the cartridge slightly to allow the gas to flow. Screw it back up to stop. The device itself is plastic covered so no freezing issues though the cartridge gets cold. It's all very neat though

+1
  • mudcow007
    i ended up buying one of these when i bought a pack of 10 from there

seems to do its job plus it was only about £6 if its pants i will get the innovations one
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    Rolf F wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

I have no idea how you would manage that! I must be doing it wrongly :lol:

It depends on your valves. Some presta valves have a removable valve core. If they're not screwed in tight, then they have a habit of coming out when you try to remove the pump from the valve. Of course, you only find this out after you've busted a gut getting the tyre up to pressure.

Some Lezyne pumps have a button to get rid of the pressure in the hose after pumping it up which I think may be to help with this problem. The manual actually suggests putting threadlock the valve cores...
  • mattcroad
    mattcroad Posts: 189
    Anyone from London (Central or South) wanting to shop on tyreinflators soon? I want to shop, but £5 shipping for £5-£7 of products doesn't sound reasonable to me. PM me if you are keen to shop and split the shipping.
    There is a rule for that
    FCN 4 2009 Trek 1.5
    FCN 11 2007 Apollo XC.26s