Which way round for a seat clamp?

oodboo
oodboo Posts: 2,171
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've been riding bikes for at least 20 years now but this is something I have never gave much thought to. In the past I have always lined my seat clamp up with the slot on the frame. Yesterday I thought I'd give it a try the other way round, not sure why, but I did. So now the slot on the frame is opposite the gap in the clamp. Seems to works just as well as before so I was wondering if it matters? Am I asking for trouble/going to break anything?
I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    On an alloy frame I thing it makes little difference, on carbon you should probably check the manufacturer recommendation. I run mine the 'wrong' way round as it prevents my shorts from catching the lever and undoing it accidentally!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have always run them with the bolt facing forwards to stop it getting caked in crud.

Could always put a loose tie wrap on the bolt for that factory look.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    mmm, cake.

Guess it doesn't really matter then on my alloy frame.

Cheers
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It does matter.

You should have the clasp on the clamp directly over the cutout notch on the frame. This way you're not stressing the frame as much, as when you tighten the QR, the 'pull' from that is tightening the seat tube across the notch in the tube.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    It does matter.

You should have the clasp on the clamp directly over the cutout notch on the frame. This way you're not stressing the frame as much, as when you tighten the QR, the 'pull' from that is tightening the seat tube across the notch in the tube.

And what about bikes that have 3 notches in the tube like Treks and Canyons. Which notch do I line it up with, or should I pick a different notch every time. :lol:

Been running bikes with the clamp bolt forward since I first got an ally frame no matter if the notch is front or back. It would have to be a very convincing argument by a proper stress engineer to get me to do otherwise.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    Just to add further confusion, I run mine with the lever facing forwards (which happens to be with the bolt over the slot on the rear of the seat tube) as it makes it easier to adjust saddle height on the fly
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot