My name is Mike and I am a MAMIL

mikeabanks
mikeabanks Posts: 116
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
For the first time yesterday I wore just bib-shorts and cycling shirt on a ride.
I normally wear Endrua long trousers over the top but the weather was so nice I decided to go with the "mankini" as my sons call it :lol:

Totally liberating :D

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    S'good eh?

Cycling jerseys are even better. No need to button them up ;).

Enjoy it. There's a reason cyclists put up with lcyca sh!t banter in the office.

a) I look smoking in it, and b) there's nothing better to cycle in.
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    I wouldn't say I looked smokin' in my bibs and jersey, but it's definitely more comfortable than ordinary clothes on the bike. I went out the other day in shorts and a t shirt as I was going a short distance and couldn't be arsed to lycra-up, I must say that I didn't feel as comfortable as I do when wearing the Darth Vader kit!
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • BobScarle
    BobScarle Posts: 282
    Welcome Mike, you are amongst friends.

The proper kit on the bike makes riding so much better. Nothing worse than a sore backside and 20 miles to get home.
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    I'm still refusing to put my beer belly inside a skinny-fit jersey.
  • I squeeze my fat carcass into lycra cause it's so much more comfortable than anything else (thank god for DHB XXL!) - I think I look like a giant mishapen black Basset's jelly baby in it :( - my sons call it my costume :) - and strangely my wife thinks I look sexy in it :D

Takes all sorts (thankfully for me)
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    I'm still refusing to put my beer belly inside a skinny-fit jersey.

I know how you feel. Last year when I first started road biking a friend of mine gave me his old top, a German national champions jersey.
    He is a similar height to me but that is where the comparisons end. A good club runner who did the London Marathon in 2hrs 30 mins but now rides100's of miles a week, the top didn't quite look the same on me as it did on him :oops:
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • 1964johnr
    1964johnr Posts: 179
    There are plenty of us on the roads Mike. Last Saturday I put the summer gear on for the first time this year. Pink Giro leaders jersey turns heads. I often think what those that look are thinking. " There goes the gay cyclist maybe "
    Couldn't be further from the truth and I don't care anyway.
  • My 10 year old son when he saw me with my lycra and helmet on said rather casually that I looked like a gay Power Ranger!!!! Welcome to the world of road bikes and lycra!! That aside there is nothing more comfortable and I came over from the dark side of MTB's.
  • Teece
    Teece Posts: 138
    My name is Teece and I am a MAMIL
  • wakou
    wakou Posts: 165
    My name is Stephen, and I am a MAMIL
    "I had righteous got my wheel backmost from a fettlin' at the LBS and was hunt transport to equitation it. As it was Refrigerated in the AM......"
  • My name is Bill and I am a MAMIL, that feels better already. :roll: :lol:
  • I've just ditched bib back to shorts due nipple rub,despite using cream etc.. Comfort level just as good so overall, not a successful experiment.
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    BobScarle wrote:
    Welcome Mike, you are amongst friends.

The proper kit on the bike makes riding so much better. Nothing worse than a sore backside and 20 miles to get home.
    +1 - leg shaving comes next
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Bib shorts and jerseys are the way to go. I dont usually wear trousers as I overheat....im a big unit.

What does MAMIL mean?
  • mikeabanks
    mikeabanks Posts: 116
    Middle Aged Man In Lycra :-)
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    My name is Gizmo and I flatly refuse to admit how middle aged I am, in Lycra.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    At what age does one cease being a MAMIL and decline into OGIL territory??

(I am asking on behalf of a friend, obviously...)
  • At 24 I would like to think I can be classed as a YAMIL...
  • BobScarle
    BobScarle Posts: 282
    I'm 52 so I think I fall into the FOGIL category (That's Fat Old Git In Lycra in case you were wondering)
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    At 24 I would like to think I can be classed as a YAMIL...

At 21 I would also class myself a YAMIL, and having had my arse well and truly handed to me by plenty of MAMILs twice my age in my club, there is no shame in being a MAMIL :P