Riding to work on your 'best bike'?

2»

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    CiB wrote:
    Most of my riding is the commute and I want to do that on the best bike I can muster, so it's the carbon Di2 powered road rocket for my commute every time. It helps that it's a v rural commute and that it's quite a distance so requires something good to do it on, but I'm with Greg on this. Why buy a fancy dan bike and then not use it? And DDD called me cool for commuting on a bike of that spec so that's good enough for me. :wink:

I don't buy the "not use it argument." My commuter does around 68 miles a week. My best bike does anywhere between 30 and over 100 a week. So it depends on length of commute and how much you ride outside of that.
    Thing is, we have the luxury of riding on the weekends. If you're someone who doesn't or has very few chances to ride on the weekend, the notion of a best bike becomes "that £1000 suit for best worn once and then no longer fits".
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Most of my riding is the commute and I want to do that on the best bike I can muster, so it's the carbon Di2 powered road rocket for my commute every time. It helps that it's a v rural commute and that it's quite a distance so requires something good to do it on, but I'm with Greg on this. Why buy a fancy dan bike and then not use it? And DDD called me cool for commuting on a bike of that spec so that's good enough for me. :wink:

I don't buy the "not use it argument." My commuter does around 68 miles a week. My best bike does anywhere between 30 and over 100 a week. So it depends on length of commute and how much you ride outside of that.
    Thing is, we have the luxury of riding on the weekends. If you're someone who doesn't or has very few chances to ride on the weekend, the notion of a best bike becomes "that £1000 suit for best worn once and then no longer fits".

Exactly. My respective mileages were 193 and 0 last week. Which begs the question: why don't I have a nicer bike? :(
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    CiB wrote:

+1 almost to the exact words (though DDD never called me cool :cry::wink: )

I bought my best bike, the Volagi, & fitted Di2 to it with the exact intent of commuting on it. I'll also do some longer rides (doing Malin to Mizen Head in Aug) but it's just super-commuter most of the time. That said, I'm guessing I do more far more miles, in much nicer countryside, than most "Sunday Specials". Horses (almost literally) for courses
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • KateF
    KateF Posts: 86
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    ...Ribble Stealth with Sram Force groupset ...

Good choice . I have one of those and love it - although have now changed the seatpost, saddle, wheels and about to change the handlebars...

I used my 'commuter' during the winter, and *might* continue to do so if it rains, but I tend to use my 'good' bike at the moment as it gets me into work quicker (meaning I can get up about 4 minutes later - makes all the difference at 6am) and also means I enjoy training rides / impromptu exteded rides home in the evening more. Should probably ride the bad bike a bit more for training purposes, but I just don't enjoy it as much.
    Winter bike - Verenti Kilmeston
    Fair weather bike - Ribble Stealth
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Exactly, the vast majority of my miles are commuting. If I do get out at the weekend it's usually with the kids and on paths and tracks, or riding to a pub. I have lots of other demands for my time at the weekend, and the others make more noise than my bike. Give it a few more years and that will change as the kids are now 10 and 13 and soon won't want to be seen with their poor old Dad. :lol: New bike time
  • se-po
    se-po Posts: 47
    My best bike is aluminium and stiff.
    I like it when I want to push hard, but when I'm riding just to move around the city, it's not the best.
    I'm so using an old steel roadie for short journey (3-6miles) around the city, which I find more comfortable, considering also all the potholes on the roads...
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I work most saturdays so I only have one bike which I ride all the time whatever the weather as the cruds mostly stay on it now as I simply don't notice them, it's alu, it's stiff, the front end is low but I'm used to it and most of all I enjoy every ride on it.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited March 2012
    I have two best bikes so the second best does most of my commuting miles. Best best is saved for the weekend nice days (and even then sometimes I use second best) so I really enjoy the special feeling it gives when I'm using it. If you use best all the time, it just becomes ordinary :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Rolf F wrote:
    I have two best bikes so the second best does most of my commuting miles. Best best is saved for the weekend nice days (and even then sometimes I use second best) so I really enjoy the special feeling it gives when I'm using it. If you you best all the time, it just becomes ordinary :wink:

Under the same logic, you should marry an ugly woman (man - for those that might)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    rjsterry wrote:
    Exactly. My respective mileages were 193 and 0 last week. Which begs the question: why don't I have a nicer bike? :(

I seem to remember you have one awesome bike just waiting to be restored ....
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Rarely but will do more this year. I will inevitably worry about leaving a carbon fibre bike in the bike cage or chicken out and sneak it into my office.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:
    I have two best bikes so the second best does most of my commuting miles. Best best is saved for the weekend nice days (and even then sometimes I use second best) so I really enjoy the special feeling it gives when I'm using it. If you you best all the time, it just becomes ordinary :wink:

Under the same logic, you should marry an ugly woman (man - for those that might)

Your logic is somewhat badly flawed! Both best bikes are things of beauty - one is just more beautiful than the other......

The man who has steak every day, soon gets bored of steak :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......