Need a new front derailleur.

Bike-Rich
Bike-Rich Posts: 275
edited March 2012 in Workshop
Hi all,

I have a tiagra gear setup on my road bike, the rear gears have always worked fine but the front has always been 'clunky' no matter how many times I adjust it. So, looking to get a new front derailleur - any suggestions?

I have a 9 speed bike with 2 cogs on front.

Many thanks

Comments

• Sorry if I am missing some aspect but if its a Tiagra replacement why not this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tAodUWWR9w

are you wanting a different make?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Front derailleurs are by their very nature much clunkier than the rears
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    chains, cables and chainrings have more effect on front shifting than the derailleur -as long as it is set up correctly. It's basically a brute device that shoves the chain to one side or the other.
    If you've got a 50/34 compact chainset then replacing one of the chainrings so the jump is smaller could help - either 50/36 or 48 (or 46)/34
  • Bike-Rich
    jomoj wrote:
    chains, cables and chainrings have more effect on front shifting than the derailleur -as long as it is set up correctly. It's basically a brute device that shoves the chain to one side or the other.

Good advice :)
    Thanks for replies, I think i might persevere then and try to get this current one working.
    I am going to start with replacing the cables as at the moment I think i have just normal brake cables in them. Any good brands to look out for?

Recently replaced the chain so will leave the chain rings as a last result, what are more problematic - front or rear worn chainrings?

Kind regards,
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    Don't think it's the derailleur... unless the spring is rusted.
    However, I have a Tiagra band on FD (28.6-31.8) which is sitting there gathering dust... it's part of the 4500 groupset, so the last 9 speed... if you want it, PM me
    left the forum March 2023
  • Bike-Rich
    Thanks, just pm'd you. Sadly yours is too small but cheers anyway :)

Just removed my Front derailleur and it feels real stiff so i now need to decide if I should get another the same or try something else - problem is the compatibility.

When the phrase 'band' is used for dérailleurs what does that mean?
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    It means the mech attaches with a clamp that wraps round the seat tube as most do. The other type is braze on which bolts to a slotted boss on the frame