Wheelset Quandry.

Duffer65
Duffer65 Posts: 341
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
I know this is a subject that often crops up, so apologies in advance. I am about to buy some new training wheels as my old wheels that came with the bike have seen better days. I have a budget of up to £280, but I'm having difficulty deciding between the following wheelsets (which I've narrowed down to three):

Miche Race Road
Fulcrum R7s or R5s
Cole C24 Lite

Any advice about these three, from those that aren't utterly bored by this topic, would be much appreciated.
Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!

Comments

• yowza
    yowza Posts: 1
    For that kind of cash I would pick up a pair of Shimano wheels, if u want to save cash RS20ś or splash out on Ultegra. Ribble & Merlin cycles usually sell these at a keen price. Shimano wheels tend to get overlooked but they are quality, light, fast rolling & very durable; great wheels...............
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    +1 A pair of RS80's £299 Planet X.. a very good price :D
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • Duffer65
    Thanks for the advice.

I went for the Fulcrum R5s in the end though.
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I think you'll be happy.

The Fulcrums may not be the lightest or cheapest at that price but I've used most of the range and the whole lot seem pretty much bomb proof (with the exception of the freehub bearings blowing up every few '000 miles when water gets in). The rims particularly though seem to be practically indestructable.
  • Duffer65
    I think you'll be happy.

The Fulcrums may not be the lightest or cheapest at that price but I've used most of the range and the whole lot seem pretty much bomb proof (with the exception of the freehub bearings blowing up every few '000 miles when water gets in). The rims particularly though seem to be practically indestructable.

Yes, that's pretty much what a mate said. For the roads around here I need something durable rather than featherweight.