First road bike ride for 25 years, what do I need please?

broona
broona Posts: 414
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Took delivery of my shiny new Giant Defy 4 on Friday, and after a weekend of mountain biking, I'm looking to do a road ride tomorrow, only 20 miles, but it's a start!

What do I need to take with me? Reasonably clued up on the mountain bike, but any advice much appreciated on the road. Cheers. :D

Comments

• warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    Same basics.
    spare tube, pump, multi tool
    some food and a drink
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Some nice comfy bib shorts which don't flap about?
  • CO2 cylinders rather than pump I would say - too much hassle/time getting to road tyre pressures by hand.

Cycle computer to track distance, speed etc

Mobile phone

Probably a little cash (I don't but then I don't ride where there are shops etc and my missus is always available for rescues and I once took a tenner to pop into the shops and left my bag open and lost it :evil: )
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I once took a tenner to pop into the shops and left my bag open and lost it :evil: )

You take a bag with you?
  • broona
    Thanks for the replies.

I'll be riding in a nice cheap Speg bib, a Rogelli Rimini jersey, and some shiny new Spiuk shoes, lol!

I've got a 1.5l hydration pack with some snacks in, and my dad on call to pick me up if anything goes wrong, as I forgot my little brother's got my pump and other bits, grrr! ;)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Pump the tyres up to Hard. Take a phone, bit of cash & a puncture kit and a couple of drinks bottles full of squash. That'll get you round. 20 miles? Hour & half really. Do you need rehydration, a meal etc for an hour & a half of not very strenuous exercise?

Going out loaded to the gunnels will reduce your enjoyment.
  • broona
    All complete, and no dramas, ha ha! :P

Quite happy with my first time out too - http://app.strava.com/rides/5838023

Now I've done it once, next time I know I just need a bottle of juice, phone, inner tube, tyre levers, pump, and some cash, plus I need to do it in under an hour! :twisted:
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:
    I once took a tenner to pop into the shops and left my bag open and lost it :evil: )

You take a bag with you?

Small Giant under the saddle bag - not my Gucci croc number that's for Saturday nights 8)