headset help please.

gazman1
gazman1 Posts: 77
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all, I have a focus Variado frame, with a different fork, the headset is the one fitted to bike when new, also the the bottom race, however when its fitted it does not run free i.e. it feels stiff to turn bars, any ideas thanks in advance, Gaz

Comments

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    You have over tightened it. Just loosen bar bolts and then loosen headset slightly until it is not stiff bit also no play.
  • gazman1
    Hi oldwelshman ive tried that but it just seems to be too slack with no happy medium will give it another try thanks.
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    -Loosen it up comletely
    -Spin bolt in by hand
    -Hold front brake on and rock bike back and forth to feel the 'knock'
    -Tighten stem top bolt 1/6th of a turn at a time until the knocking stops - testing each time
    -Ensure bars are straight
    -Tighten stem clamp bolts
    -Try again

If this does not leave it smooth then you probablly need new races. You should be able to hold the frame and have the steering sweep end to end just by leaning the bike, if not its too tight, likewise if there is any knock when you do the brake test its too loose.

If its still crunhy then it may be worn out, or if its been left too tight the balls can pit the bearing raceways to make them jerky. Make sure there is plenty of grease, try the above, an if no luck then change the headset.

ps. It is often possible to put the bearing cages/balls in the wrong way, so the cage rubs against the race or steer tube - make sure their in correctly! Good luck!!
  • gazman1
    RPD steve, appollogies for not replying earlier, I have tried the above to no avail so i am going down the new headset route could anyone tell me which headset i need for a focus Variado I think it is intigrated but have never had any dealings with them before, any help will be appreciated, Gaz
  • gazman1
    Also can anyone tell me the length and rake of the original forks for a Focus Variado please and which forks will match the originals, thanks
    Gaz