Time for a new frame

omaha
omaha Posts: 120
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm not getting along with my old XTC frame over the longer distances i've been doing. so i've been bitten by the time to get something new and shiney shiney.
It's going to mainly be used for XC ( i've entered the tour de ben nevis in sept, cus i'm sick and like pain :lol: ) and a little single track but nothing mad.
I'll be running my Reba teams (100mm) and the bits and bobs from the Xtc.
Ok so ive been looking at in my price range for frame only

Cotic soul
Yeti Arc
On one whippet.

If you think there's something i should be looking at and i'm not........

And yes it has to be a hard tail :D
a bike with round rubbery things
another bike with springy bits on it
another bike with too few gears

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    whippet
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Whippet absolutelly.

Soul is a great bike, but more of a longer travel trail HT.

Whippet is a great XC bike, quite capable and should be more comfy than the XTC over long distance. It's great value and looks sweet too.

Not sure about the Arc - though I think of it as a race only type of frame...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • omaha
    it was my top choice but i've been reading abit more into it mainly the trouble fitting cranks without them rubbing or having to mod them so on.
    I'm waiting on the " but with the money you save on the frame you could ........." don't really want to go down the replacing parts if i really don't have to, knowing me it would end up costing me more than buying the expensive frame.
  • omaha
    the whippet was my top choice .................Doh
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The XTC! What are you expecting to gain?
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I have an XTC.It`s a capable bike.In what way are you not getting on with it?

I`m not sure you are going to notice a massive improvement with any of those,subtle differences yes,but not life changing differences over what is a good frame.The Soul will give you a slightly different ride experience,being steel,the ARC is a lovely looking ,bit of kit and the Whippet is excellent vfm.

However,it might be worth experimenting first with fatter tyres and tweaking the ride postion with bar,stem and post.

If you want more comfort/control then there`s only one option.

Loving my Anthem.As fast as the XTC,but more control and comfort.............. :wink:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    [qoute]Soul is a great bike, but more of a longer travel trail HT.[/quote]

Not really, its a nice light frame that works really well with 100mm of travel.
  • omaha
    I have an XTC.It`s a capable bike.In what way are you not getting on with it?

I`m not sure you are going to notice a massive improvement with any of those,subtle differences yes,but not life changing differences over what is a good frame.The Soul will give you a slightly different ride experience,being steel,the ARC is a lovely looking ,bit of kit and the Whippet is excellent vfm.

However,it might be worth experimenting first with fatter tyres and tweaking the ride postion with bar,stem and post.

If you want more comfort/control then there`s only one option.

Loving my Anthem.As fast as the XTC,but more control and comfort.............. :wink:

Ok, Two things i'm not happy with , i do like a stretched out feel , i don't get that with the XTC and i've tired stems lay back post so on, second and most importantly to me it feels dead , hard to explain , i had a cheap scott frame a few years ago , and while its was heaver it had more, well fun to it, the back end kinda kept me on my toes and it was great flowing feeling on single track , the XTC kinda feels like a plank. Im happy with tyres i tend to pick the tyre for the ground conditions.
    Don't get me wrong the xtc is a good machine, and i will be keeping it to play with but there is just something missing.............
    Or maybe it's just all this sun and cider i'm not use to 8)
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    What year XTC? Some reviews reckon the later ones weren`t as good.Stiffer at the rear,bigger seat and chain stays........
    The XTC is actually quite long,compared to its rivals so if you aren`t feeling stretched out maybe you need to size up?One problem with Giant is they have some big gaps between sizes.
    Funnily enough I`ve always felt my medium XTC was borderline for me at 6ft so I went for a Large in the Anthem.
    Having ridden them back to back several times now the large does feel a better fit.
    If you want lively,a nice skippy,a good steel frame should do it.I still love the feel of my old 531 framed road bike,even though I now have a carbon bike.
    Of the choices you mentioned I reckon you should look at the Soul,or maybe something like Pipedream Sirius/Scion,or Rock Lobster 853.

Or an Anthem................. :wink:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • omaha
    04 XtC team frame Medium, any larger and and i'd be singing Soprano, Im 5'10 inisde leg 32
    but i will go back and look at the setup and see if i can sort the feel out
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Quite an old one, one of the firdt hydroformed ones I think and is pretty harsh.

OnOne Whippet is worth a look.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    You say you want a more stretched position so I'd say the on one.
    I just bought a Kinesis (Decade Versa Prestige) - which I really like.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.