Weight

mbhuw
mbhuw Posts: 79
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
What's the ideal weight for a cyclist? I know it's pretty much as light as possible but just wandered what a good 'target' weight would be.
I'm only 16 (i know i've still got a lot of developing!) and weigh about 55kg i know the ideal weight is probably more than this but by how much?

Comments

• warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    Your weight is personal. there isn't an "ideal weight" for a cyclist. It depends on so many factors - your natural build, type of cycling i.e. on road / off road / track, distance, team or individual .... the list goes on.

All you need to worry about is what's the weight YOU performe best at in your chosen discipline. Keep an eye on your body fat levels and work on your power to weight ratio and you'll do fine.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    mbhuw wrote:
    What's the ideal weight for a cyclist? I know it's pretty much as light as possible but just wandered what a good 'target' weight would be.
    I'm only 16 (i know i've still got a lot of developing!) and weigh about 55kg i know the ideal weight is probably more than this but by how much?

Its more about power to weight, and at what weight you personally perform the best.

Some people are naturally skinnier than others and some are naturally bulkier..

But there is no point aiming for a specific weight, because for one person they may be too light and underpowered at that weight, but for another they may be too heavy and able to loose weight.

Just some data from the Rabobank app on my phone:

These were the rabobank riders who rode Gent - Wevelgem

Lars Boom - 78kg 1.91m
    Matti Breschel - 68kg - 1.81m
    Mark Renshaw - 73kg - 1.79m
    Tom Leezer - 76kg - 1.85m
    Paul Martens - 67kg - 1.78m
    Maarten wynants - 76kg - 1.90m
    Bram Tankink - 71kg - 1.81m
    Maarten Tjallingii - 82kg - 1.88m

Not sure how accurate the weight figures are but it gives an idea -> 67kg - 82kg is a range of 15kg -> quite a lot when you consider the bike only weighs 6.8kg.