29er tyres

ste_t
ste_t Posts: 1,599
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
The new bike has come with Rapid Rob performance tyres on it and I need something much grippier but still reasonably fast rolling. They are bloody quick in the dry but every time I rode over any wet rock today at Penmachno, it felt like the tyres were intent on killing me.

Bike is a Cube Ltd sl 29er and will be mostly be used for riding natural xc stuff round North Wales and tamer stuff like the Marin.

Any recommendations? (need front and back, but don't want to break the bank.)

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    29er tyres are not magical mystical things, they're just tyres.. but bigger.. Buy whatever you used to like in them conditions in a 26" tyre.

Mud-X are great 29ers.... but also great 26"... lol. Same with Racing Ralph....

OK, so the tyres you want in a 29er may not exist in that format from the 26" variant... but the logic is still the same.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I have some new X kings that seem suited to what you need?
    half way from fast rolling to big grip.
    I have also ordered a WTB Prowler from JE James, £14.99 and looks like it to could fit the bill?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Jamieg285
    Jamieg285 Posts: 98
    If you're getting rid of the Rapid Robs, I might be interested in having them from you. PM me if you are.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    If you found the Robs that bad I'd avoid Racing Ralphs - they're the same tread pattern, albeit with a better compound.
  • ste_t
    The 26er is soon to be set up Fat Albert front, Ardent rear, but those are on a 120/140 travel full sus that is for trail centres & more technical stuff. Thus it is a different kind of tyre I'm after for the 100mm hardtail 29er.

Mud-X's seem overkill for the type of riding I'll be using this bike for.
    Aspen and Ralph are too racey/delicate and I've used them both in 26" format, with more time spent fixing pinch flats that actually riding.

X-kings in black chilli look perfect although pricey so will have a shop around
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    got my conti's from bike discount DE
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    Bontrager Jones ACX, been running mine all winter, plenty of grip as the tread pattern is similar to the Mud X only with slightly shorter knobs, hence faster as well, imo a great all rounder.
  • ste_t
    Ended up going with the first piece of advice from Weeksy, Maxxis Ardents in 2.25 60a. £44 for the pair from CRC