Clueless Newbe needs loads of help!

Short Round Stan
Short Round Stan Posts: 20
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Hello

I'm looking for a bike to commute to work on,and use for weekend blasts to get fit on(and I need to get fit) and maybe even a sportive or 2 way down the line(way way down the line LOL) on so I'm looking for a comfortable do it all type of a bike-one that I can mudguards to as well(the bike will be used year round).I'm 42 and over weight but always enjoyed cycling as a kid,so I thought I'd go back to something I'd enjoy rather than hating the gym as normal :lol:

I'm using the works cycle to work scheme for this so I can only use Evans
I've come up with the following:-
Charge Juicer Mid 2012 -£829.99
Charge Filter Mid 2012- £799.99
Genesis CdF 2012- £899.99
Genesis Equilibrium 00 2012-£899.99
Kona Honky Tonk 2012 - £850.00
Trek 1.5 T H2 2012 - £800.00

all of the above seem to be built to be fastish and comfortable,I put a few cross bikes in there because I like the look of them and the bike will be used in all weathers,I live on the outskirts of Reading and there are a few big hills(well bigish to me) so a lowish hill climbing gear would be a help.
So am I on the right track,is any of the above "perfect" for what I need? anything I should be looking at ? anything I shouldn't?-thanks in advance for the replies-I really feel out of my depth with all this choice and I hoping you all can guide me in the right direction

Comments

• petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Sounds like your on the right lines

Both Genesis bikes would be a great choice and the styles are timeless too, nice and classy.

It's easy enough to put slick road tyres on the cdf. I'd be tempted to stretch to the Croix de fer.
  • If your commutes mainly on roads don't rule out bikes with drops, a lot of people do but with drop bars you have lots of options for hand positions & racing style bikes are generally lighter than MTB & cross bikes, if commute is hilly don't be afraid to look st triples some of the purists frown on them but you will get a good range of gears that will cope with all terrains
    I took the plung in October & after Evans gave me advice I went to LBS & got proper advice & found something that was actually suitable for what I needed, so glad I did, now lost over a stone & planning Coast to Coast in a couple of months
    Check to see if ride to work is exclusive to Evans or can be used at LBS,
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    My mate has the spesh tricross sports disc and loves it, commutes all year round and long week end rides. Infact he even uses it for sprint triathlons. Me i like the cdf and lust after the criox de fer, but have to say his tricross is a nice bike.
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • thanks everyone so far
    anyone got an opinion on the Kona, the Trek or any of the Charges?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Have a look at the 2012 Giant Defy 2 as an alternative to the trek, to be honest you don't really need a cx bike unless you are going off the road, or cycling in horrific weather-> like snow

It is fun to have the flexibility to go off road if you are riding for fitness though
  • A flat bar bike will be okay for your daily commute but may prove to be uncomfortable on longer rides/spotives.

As mentioned above, the choice of hand positions with drop handlebars will make longer rides more bearable.

For a few dollars more than the bikes listed above,this may suit your needs-and looks quite cool 8)
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/charge/juicer-hi-2012-road-bike-ec029984#features
  • Hello and welcome. All those bikes are good'uns. Rather that wait for validation from BR readers, get down the shop and try them for size and buy the one that feels best - this is the one you'll enjoy riding most and therefore will get out on the most, giving you best value for money, best fitness improvements and the best chances of ever getting to that sportive. Fit is waaay more important that the components (within reason) and you need to think drop handles or flat. Your budget is spot-on a competivite price point there, where the manufacturers are all bidding against eachother, therefore the bikes tend to be cracking.
  • Hello and welcome. All those bikes are good'uns. Rather that wait for validation from BR readers, get down the shop and try them for size and buy the one that feels best - this is the one you'll enjoy riding most and therefore will get out on the most, giving you best value for money, best fitness improvements and the best chances of ever getting to that sportive. Fit is waaay more important that the components (within reason) and you need to think drop handles or flat. Your budget is spot-on a competivite price point there, where the manufacturers are all bidding against eachother, therefore the bikes tend to be cracking.

Hi and thanks for the reply,what I'm trying to do is to get a list of maybe 4 bikes to look at,there is waaaay to much choice for somebody who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about(that'll be me then).If I can get the list down to 3 or 4 then as you said it comes down to the best fit and I go and start trying bikes out-it's all very confusing to be honest,but your all helping and I'm very grateful
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I reckon, honestly then choose the 4 bikes you like the look of the most.

At the end of the day, the actual performance differences will be marginal, so what you want is a bike you LOVE the look of and makes you want to get on it and take it for a ride.

Next, go and try them out. What's comfy and what's not. Don't forget that position can be adjusted and also, you may just need to get used to a different type of bike you used as a kid.

If you love the look of it and it fits like a glove, you can't be wanting much more than that!