How do you find the right saddle?

Kingy911
Kingy911 Posts: 134
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Evening all. I am new to cycling, doing 25-30 miles comfortably, well, when I say comfortably I am usually a little saddle sore but nothing too painful or excruciating. The question is, does saddle sore ever go away ? or is it a case of searching and searching for that magical saddle and probably spending hundreds trying to find it.
To give you a background, I am a lard arse, 5ft 8" 14st 7lbs. If there is a magical answer I would be eternally grateful :D

Comments

• Frank pole
    Frank pole Posts: 112
    Finding a comfy saddle is the holy Grail - charge spoon is a popular saddle on here at 20.00 you have not lost a lot if it's not for you! Good luck!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    It's not the saddle... Get a chamois Cree with antibacterial and you will reduce the chances of a sore becoming infected. After the ride dry the area well and use some baby powder or similar to keep it dry. Look at better shorts with a pad which works for you...
    Saddle wise I like brooks of course.the stiffer, the better. Saddle sores are due to friction,moisture, sweat and bacteria... Nothing to do with how softer hard the saddle is.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    If only there was a magic formula, I've now tried 6 saddles and I'm still not happy.

Next on list, most likely a a Fizik Antares
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    trial and error

+

deep pockets
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    You can get measured for a saddle, the specialized BG fit system included this and it helps to get the right width for you.

When i had my fit done the other day (not a BG fit though) the guy was also talking about the way the base of your spine interacts with the pelvis, in some people the two bones can move independently, in some they move as one -> and factors like this can also affect your saddle fit as you will sit differently depending on back flexibility etc-> with different saddles being designed for different riding positions.

So i think its a case of assessing how you sit on the bike and saddle, then finding the right type of saddle for that position, and then the right size of that saddle to fit you.

Its also worth finding a bike shop that does Demo saddles, my LBS does -> although there is a full deposit on the top of the line Fizik ones!
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    It'll probably cost you about £300! Or just stick with what you have and let your backside get used to it
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    I had my rear measured at the LBS and then road around for a couple of weeks with their saddle before buying. So far so good. :D
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    Good point made above.

Fizik do test saddles, so do Selle Italia. Many individual shops also have test saddles not through programs and make you put down the 100% deposit. Great way to test and not waste your hard earned cash
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I was having problems with my saddle so swapped to a Fizik Arione. It wasn't much better until I switched out the alu seatpost to carbon and wow, now the saddle is super comfy, so don't rule that out either.
  • Kingy911
    Thanks for all your replies, seems trial and error is the way, I wont be telling the wife :-)
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Also don't overlook the position of the saddle.

An uncomfortable one may actually be Ok just badly positioned.

Try dropping the nose slightly (helps in the gentleman area) and also alter the forward/aft position to get your legs in the correct place relative to the pedals etc.

Dropping the seat height by just 2mm could also have effect.

So yes trial and error but with position as well as actual saddle.

Have you had a bike fit?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Some hints about sizing here
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/genera ... 59989.html

when you have a saddle found and you can do a 60 minute sit ride test without fidgeting or any direct attributable discomfort , you have found the right one.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    trial and error

+

snagging them cheaply on ebay

Edited that for you :wink:

I replaced my Giant's stock one with a WTB Devo that was instantly better. Just bought another, unused, for £13. A colleague with a Defy had the same issue and managed to complete JOGLE on a Specialized Indie (OE saddle from Rockhopper, I think) that cost about the same.

Alternatively, try begging a ride on some friends' / clubmates' bikes or even a quick saddle swap.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    smidsy wrote:
    Also don't overlook the position of the saddle.

An uncomfortable one may actually be Ok just badly positioned.

Try dropping the nose slightly (helps in the gentleman area) and also alter the forward/aft position to get your legs in the correct place relative to the pedals etc.
    Agreed. I worked out a little while ago that although mine was 'visually' flat which is usually recommended, it is more padded at the back and so when I sat on it and compressed the padding it was effectively tilted backwards a few degrees. Nudged the nose down just a fraction and now when I'm sat on it it's flat - meaning I don't creep forwards or backwards when riding, it's much better.

It must be said that padded shorts help too (although I still find them very weird to wear) and finally, the pain is bruising in the soft tissue. Less squidge between the bones and the saddle = less pain.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • wakou
    wakou Posts: 165
    If I may be allowed to recommend a different forum, this place has a 'library' of saddles for members to try...
    http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/cyclec ... ary.44235/
    "I had righteous got my wheel backmost from a fettlin' at the LBS and was hunt transport to equitation it. As it was Refrigerated in the AM......"
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,194
    Do you mean you are getting actual sores or are you just sore from the saddle? The former will be more a result of chaffing from your shorts than the saddle itself. With the latter things do improve as you ride more regularly. You may think you have a lot of padding on your backside but it spreads out on the bike exposing the sit bones to bruising but when you ride more you will get more muscle mass there which protects the bones far more.
  • Kingy911
    Actual sores, christ no !!! Just a little bit sore :D Cheers for all the advice everyone