Torn cartilage ??

bikeit65
bikeit65 Posts: 982
edited April 2012 in Health, fitness & training
I have been having knee pain this past few weeks, but nothing to keep me from cycling, play 5 a side football and going to work.
But last night after a game of football the knee pain got so bad i could not go to work today, so i went to see the doctor who informed me that he is almost certain that i have torn the cartilage, he sent me for an xray and has also arranged for me to have an MIR scan,
what i would like to know is there anyway that i can strap the knee or buy some sort of support to ease the pain so i can return to work?
https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
Planet X RT58
Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011

Comments

• nick_1978
    nick_1978 Posts: 34
    I too tore my knee cartilage playing 7 a side football, also the same tackle completely ruptured my anterior cruciate ligament (ACL). This was bad news, I had stopped my racing years earlier and returned to playing football, having a torn cartilage and ACL my knee felt so weak until I had it reconstructed by keyhole surgery.
    It was a long road back to health and knee stability, but it feels OK now, different, but OK.

I found the neoprene knee tubes offered no real support, they just made the leg sweat and pushed my knee cap down.
    You can get ones with a hole where the knee cap is... so maybe that may be alright?
    After my operation, the physio at the hosptial gave me a leg brace which really helped. Maybe a bit over kill for what you have...
    As for pain relief - ibuprofen is best.
    Hope you get on the mend and back on the bike soon!
  • bikeit65
    bikeit65 Posts: 982
    Hi nick_1987 i went to a physio on Wednesday and she is almost certain that i have not torn the cartilage but i have torn the medial ligament on the inside of the knee, she done a lot of twisting and turning of my leg and knee and said that if i had cartilage damage i would not have been able to let her do that as the pain would be too much, so she done some light massage work and ultrasound, she also told me to keep icing it and gave me some light exercises to do at home, she did not recommend strapping the knee or using a support as she felt this would slow down the recovery process, there is more movement in the knee now and i have to return to the physio on Tuesday, fingers crossed, football days are certainly over will stick to the bike.
    https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
    Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011