Going Commando

p9uma
p9uma Posts: 565
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
:oops:

Not 100% comfortable with it but I have been riding my bike commando stylee for a couple of weeks.

The question is that washing the gear shorts/longs/bib after every ride is a bit of a nuisance. Is there cycling underwear available that will give the advantages of riding commando but allow one to be more hygienic with shorts etc?

Also I sometimes get numb nuts on a longer ride. That can't be normal can it?
Trek Madone 3.5
Whyte Coniston
1970 Dawes Kingpin

Comments

• Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    just get another pair of shorts
  • p9uma
    Tom Dean wrote:
    just get another pair of shorts

Now why didn't I think of that. :twisted:
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    DBH do padded 'pants' which you can wear under unpadded shorts/longs
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Nothing but commando mate.
    Shorts are designed to work best against your skin.
    As has been said, another pair of shorts is the answer. With the amount I sweat, even if I was wearing something under my shorts, I wouldn't fancy wearing them again without them having been washed!

As for your nuts...check your saddle tilt or you might want to try one with a cut out.
  • p9uma
    coriordan wrote:
    DBH do padded 'pants' which you can wear under unpadded shorts/longs

I shall check them out.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • p9uma
    RC856 wrote:
    Nothing but commando mate.
    Shorts are designed to work best against your skin.
    As has been said, another pair of shorts is the answer. With the amount I sweat, even if I was wearing something under my shorts, I wouldn't fancy wearing them again without them having been washed!

As for your nuts...check your saddle tilt or you might want to try one with a cut out.

Ta, should the saddle be level, or up or down slightly or what?
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    Am I going to be the only one to advise to wear them dirty?!

I've been known to wear the same set of cycling kit for a week of commuting.....

Saddle level is the best starting point.
  • p9uma
    Milese wrote:
    Am I going to be the only one to advise to wear them dirty?!

I've been known to wear the same set of cycling kit for a week of commuting.....

Eeewwww. I need to go poke out my minds eye.
    Saddle level is the best starting point.

Ta, I'll check it out tomoz
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • p9uma
    There seems to be a couple of brands of padded undershorts on the market, but I'm not quite clear I'd they are for under baggy shorts for Lycra. I'll have go to a shop and check. I guess it would be easier to have a couple of pairs of normal cycling shorts.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Not sure how undershorts would work under lycra either. Too much chance of rucks and creases causing a chafe here and there perhaps.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-pro-padded-undershorts/

These are for lycra shorts. If you read the 'spec' etc then they give the details. meant to be for under 'unpadded' shorts/tights.

If i'm honest I am not at hygenic as I should be and sometimes use a pair for a week.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Padded shorts are for whimps and I have a pair, so there! I can be quite happy when off-roading with a pair of pants under baggy shorts the same for on my touring bike. I have now got used to riding without padding like they did in the old days. :D
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • slowsider
    slowsider Posts: 197
    p9uma wrote:

Not 100% comfortable with it but I have been riding my bike commando stylee for a couple of weeks.

The question is that washing the gear shorts/longs/bib after every ride is a bit of a nuisance. Is there cycling underwear available that will give the advantages of riding commando but allow one to be more hygienic with shorts etc?

Commando Style? :D Speak to the Company Sgt Major about the laundry problem.

www2-bsa.jpg
  • p9uma
    coriordan wrote:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-pro-padded-undershorts/

These are for lycra shorts. If you read the 'spec' etc then they give the details. meant to be for under 'unpadded' shorts/tights.

If i'm honest I am not at hygenic as I should be and sometimes use a pair for a week.

They've got mixed reviews for them on that site.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    edited March 2012
    Just embrace the Lycra and enjoy the liberation of going commando... then buy another set of bibs so you don't have to do laundry everyday
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Wait.. people actually wear boxers under padded bibs?

+1 to Milese and to buy some more!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Milese wrote:

That's pretty manky for shorts (obviosuly depends on the length of your commute - but, then again, if it's only a 10 minute commute, I am not sure I would be wearing cycling clothing!).

I hope you use some decent anti-bacterial cream as your risking getting some nasty crotch-rot!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    marcusjb wrote:
    Milese wrote:

That's pretty manky for shorts (obviosuly depends on the length of your commute - but, then again, if it's only a 10 minute commute, I am not sure I would be wearing cycling clothing!).

I hope you use some decent anti-bacterial cream as your risking getting some nasty crotch-rot!
    I don't wash shorts after every ride, don't use cream or anti-bacterial stuff etc and have never had downstairs issues in all my born days of cycling. It's not the great filth-fest that it's being made out to be. Maybe I don't suffer sweaty under-carriage as badly, or my routine of dump then shower whenever possible stops it being an issue. I wouldn't chuck shorts in the wash just because I've ridden to work in them (> 20 mls). Each to their own though.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    CiB wrote:
    marcusjb wrote:
    Milese wrote:

I don't wash shorts after every ride, don't use cream or anti-bacterial stuff etc and have never had downstairs issues in all my born days of cycling. It's not the great filth-fest that it's being made out to be. Maybe I don't suffer sweaty under-carriage as badly, or my routine of dump then shower whenever possible stops it being an issue. I wouldn't chuck shorts in the wash just because I've ridden to work in them (> 20 mls). Each to their own though.

No nor me. If it's just an hour or blast around Richmond Park - then it's probably fine for another similar ride.

But a week of a decent commute could get pretty grim and run the risk of having issues - another factor would be whether access to a shower straight after the commute is possible etc.

It does depend on length of commute etc. - but I think I would want to change shorts half way through the week.

I don't use lotions or potions on my rear for most rides these days - 300km plus or if it's very hot or pissing it down with rain.

Touring or distance riding (anything where you're going to have 8 hours plus a day in the saddle)- clean shorts every day.
  • milese
    marcusjb wrote:
    Milese wrote:

You sound like my wife.

Half an hour to 45 mins each way, dependant on route.

Dont use anything, not had a problem for the past few years.

Showers are for wimps, a couple of wet wipes once I get to work do the trick.
  • p9uma
    Milese wrote:
    marcusjb wrote:
    Milese wrote:

You sound like my wife.

Half an hour to 45 mins each way, dependant on route.

Dont use anything, not had a problem for the past few years.

Showers are for wimps, a couple of wet wipes once I get to work do the trick.

You well 'ard you ain't ya?
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • milese
    If by 'ard you mean lazy then yes.
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    slowsider wrote:
    p9uma wrote:

Commando Style? :D Speak to the Company Sgt Major about the laundry problem.

www2-bsa.jpg

nice pic great SS set up.

anyway:
    no underwear is best, just get a 2nd pair, the main thing about commando (for the benefit of your clubmates) is make sure that they're not worn thin. I got a ribbing for this a while back.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • p9uma
    Stanley222 wrote:
    Cycle clothing manufacturers spend a fortune on designing decent padding for it to be ruined by wearing something underneath that will bunch up and rub like hell - commando is the only way to wear padded shorts and as before it's just easier to buy more shorts!

Fair point. Which is what I have done. I now have three pairs of shorts/longs.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin