Haldon forest off piste

eccles
eccles Posts: 96
edited April 2012 in Routes
Hi all
I've been to haldon forest quite a few times now and I've done all the way marked routes and have thoroughly enjoyed myself. The only problem is, i'm getting a bit bored of the marked routes and would like to ride something else.
Does anyone know what other routes there are at haldon and how to get to them?
I see lots of bits of track going all over the place but without knowing where they go or where they start from I don't really want to try them.
Any help is appreciated.
Cheers

Comments

• markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    If you ride south-east from the Forest Centre and go under the A38 on the road, there are lots of fire tracks in the woodland just past the horse race course.
    If you carry on along the lane which passes the racecourse and cross over the A380, just past the big cafe is a gateway. Turn into the woods there and follow the wheel tracks. There are a myriad of challenging downhill tracks with banked corners, jumps etc.
    Get the orange OS map of the area to see where to go.
    Have fun,
    Mark
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I only know a few bits found by accident, but within the official Haldon forest area follow the blue trail and look for tracks heading off the sides into the trees. These have led to some nice unofficial bits. Just try them, some go no where, some lead to fun. Small enough area that you can't really get too lost. I like exploring personally and I've found various bits and pieces but yet to link them all up. There was something off the top with some steeper bits but forget where. Not amazing stuff, but infinitely better than the tame official "expert" red/black now.

I need to check out the bits over the other side of the A380 though. Had heard there was some stuff of interest there.

Also some DH events have been done round Ashcombe I think? Though heard it's not public access.
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    Just ride the blue and when you see a track ride it. Without finding someone to show you round you'll have to exploor for yourself. None of the un-marked trails start anywhere easy to explain else I would be hapy to help.

The stuff over cafe side (A380 side) is more aimed at DH riders, if your just moving on from the red this may be a little outside your current skill level.