a few road racing clothing questions

dru
dru Posts: 1,341
edited April 2012 in Amateur race
Hi people,

Just a simple couple of questions about clothing for road races run by british cycling.

In time trials you are only allowed to wear clothing with sponsers if your club is sponsered by them - therefore you would not be allowed to wear 'saxobank' gloves or overshoes etc. just checking but presumeably this the same in road races?

Second question regarding clothing. I was going to just be wearing a normal club jersey and bib shorts in my first road race this weekend, but have noticed that in crits people seam to wear either normal stuff or skinsuits. I've got a club skinsuit from my time trialling - my question is should I be looking to wear it in a road race - or is that just plain stupid or not the done thing.

Same goes for overshoes - do people wear these in crits or road races?

I know that the above stuff is marginal gains but every little helps in a first 45 mile road race right? or wrong?

Cheers,

Dru

Comments

• Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Firstly, gloves - nobody will care what gloves you wear.

i don't understand your second question about wearing 'normal stuff'. If you have entered on behalf of a club and you have a club jersey, wear it. Some wear skinsuits, but they're not really practical for longer races.

As for overshoes - people wear them in road races for the same reason as anyone else wears them - ie to keep their feet warm or dry. If the weather is not cold or wet, you won't need to wear them.
  • dru
    Pseudonym wrote:
    i don't understand your second question about wearing 'normal stuff'. If you have entered on behalf of a club and you have a club jersey, wear it. Some wear skinsuits, but they're not really practical for longer races.

As for overshoes - people wear them in road races for the same reason as anyone else wears them - ie to keep their feet warm or dry. If the weather is not cold or wet, you won't need to wear them.

Cheers.

'normal stuff' means baggy club jersey and bibshorts.

so the question is if I have a club skinsuit - should I wear that instead. I'm not sure what I would need to carry - water would be on the bike - just guess its whether i need to carry any food or repair kits etc - or again - does no one bother carrying stuff like that in a race?

Regarding overshoes - I was talking about lycra overshoes that I tt in rather than ones worn to keep warm or dry.

Cheers,

Dru
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    For just about any UK racing, wear a skinsuit, they're not long enough to care about pockets, if you puncture, you walk.

Technically overshoes would be against the rules unless the commissaire decided the conditions were bad - in any regional racing, the commissaire won't give a toss so you could wear them for the aero benefit.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Pseudonym
    If your club jersey is 'baggy' then it's too big ;)

skinsuit - your choice. You need to make a judgement based on the length of the event and what - if anything - you might want to carry with you.

overshoes - as before, wear them if you want, but they aren't going to give you the win.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    i now it not what your asking but
    In time trials you are only allowed to wear clothing with sponsors if your club is sponsored by them
    That isn't right. If you club has paid an advertising fee, you can ride in sponsored clothing but they don't have to be your clubs sponsors.

The overshoes are against the rules in road racing as previously mention, most would`nt care. But rules are rules. If i was beaten into second place by a rider using them , there would be a formal appleal lodged.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Out of interest, can you point to where in the regs it says overshoes are not allowed?
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I've worn oversocks or overshoes in just about every race I've done. If that's true about them being banned then it's perhaps the stupidest rule in cycling.
    More problems but still living....
  • jibberjim
    Rule is UCI 1.3.033 Because overshoes are not essential, they're not allowed.
    It is forbidden to wear non-essential items of clothing or items designed to influence the performances
    of a rider such as reducing air resistance or modifying the body of the rider (compression,
    stretching, support).
    Items of clothing or equipment may be considered essential where weather conditions make them
    appropriate for the safety or the health of the rider. In this case, the nature and texture of the clothing
    or equipment must be clearly and solely justified by the need to protect the rider from bad
    weather conditions. Discretion in this respect is left to the race commissaires.

So if you can convince the chief comm it's cold, and your aero overshoes actually keep you warm, you'll be okay.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I remember reading something that said overshoes are banned if they're purely for aero reasons but can't see it in the current road rules (plus, I can't see anyone caring). It may be that the rule has gone since I last read them (probably 2009)

The rules on kit essentially say registered club kit (i.e. BC registered club) or plain kit only but I've seen plenty of SaxoBank and HTC kit in 4th Cat races. I suspect the main argument against it is to stop advertising from appearing in race photo's (start a new cycling related company, get 4 friends dressed up in your company branding and race as not club affiliated. Free advertising all over the BC website).
  • amaferanga
    jibberjim wrote:
    Rule is UCI 1.3.033 Because overshoes are not essential, they're not allowed.
    It is forbidden to wear non-essential items of clothing or items designed to influence the performances
    of a rider such as reducing air resistance or modifying the body of the rider (compression,
    stretching, support).
    Items of clothing or equipment may be considered essential where weather conditions make them
    appropriate for the safety or the health of the rider. In this case, the nature and texture of the clothing
    or equipment must be clearly and solely justified by the need to protect the rider from bad
    weather conditions. Discretion in this respect is left to the race commissaires.

So if you can convince the chief comm it's cold, and your aero overshoes actually keep you warm, you'll be okay.

Essential could rule out a lot of things. For example, on a sunny day sun glasses may be beneficial, but hardly essential. On a cool day, arm warmers might be nice, but not essential. Likewise a baselayer - good idea, but not essential. I can see what that rule is getting at, but it's written in such a may as to make it almost nonsensical.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Just have a look here for the definitive answer http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/zuvvi/media/bc_files/corporate/Rulebook_2012_-_05-GENERAL_ROAD_TRACK.pdf

Page 93 covers clothing. 4th cats can wear any suitable clothing (suitable meaning sleeved top and shorts that go to at least mid thigh as a minimum).
    8.1.9 In Road and Track events, Youth, Fourth and Provisional category licence holders and BC non licence holders will be allowed to wear any suitable clothing whilst competing in events under the Technical Regulations of the Federation, including that bearing registered or unregistered advertising except in the case of National Championships when they must comply with T.R. 8.1.1 to 8.1.6. However protective headgear must be worn in accordance with T.R. 8.6.
  • jibberjim
    amaferanga wrote:
    Essential could rule out a lot of things. For example, on a sunny day sun glasses may be beneficial, but hardly essential. On a cool day, arm warmers might be nice, but not essential. Likewise a baselayer - good idea, but not essential. I can see what that rule is getting at, but it's written in such a may as to make it almost nonsensical.

No it's written to give the commissaires full flexibility. And overshoes are considered non-essential. Glasses are a safety aspect, the colour of lenses is incidental.
  • amaferanga
    jibberjim wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

No it's written to give the commissaires full flexibility. And overshoes are considered non-essential. Glasses are a safety aspect, the colour of lenses is incidental.

Glasses are not essential though! If they were there'd be a BC rule saying you MUST wear them.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    jibberjim wrote:
    For just about any UK racing, wear a skinsuit, they're not long enough to care about pockets, if you puncture, you walk.
    And if you're 10 miles from the HQ?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • jibberjim
    Herbsman wrote:
    And if you're 10 miles from the HQ?

You walk a long way...
  • Pseudonym
    or just wear a jersey and take some stuff with you - it's hardly going to put you at a disadvantage. I see a few skinsuits in crits, but rarely in proper road races where the lap length is 5 miles plus..
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Yes skinsuit or jersey are fine - some take a puncture kit and some food on open road races - others don't.

I've done both on different occasions - longest lap on any race I do is 40 miles - I wouldn't fancy walking back to the HQ if I flatted at the farthest point - though normally you'd find a following car would take pity on you you can't guarantee it. As the others say the rules for clothing get more strictly enforced the higher up you are racing - best thing if you are above 4th cat is just wear club kit or a fairly plain jersey to be safe. The overshoes rule seems to be flouted even at pro level.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • This is general problem with racer. The sponsors want to advertise their products so they don’t allow another company’s racing gear. Sometime the product is good for racer but if he is not comfortable then he should not wear them. Otherwise you would lose your race.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Dru wrote:
    Hi people,
    In time trials you are only allowed to wear clothing with sponsers if your club is sponsered by them - therefore you would not be allowed to wear 'saxobank' gloves or overshoes etc. just checking but presumeably this the same in road races?
    Dru

I don't think you would get any hassle for wearing these to be honest, unless the start time keeper was a real stickler for rules. Wearing a pro team skinsuit is a bit of a no no in open events though whether or not your club has paid a sponsorship fee. You might get away with an old version, but you certainly couldn't ride in a current pro team kit.
  • dru
    SBezza wrote:
    Dru wrote:
    Hi people,
    Dru

I don't think you would get any hassle for wearing these to be honest, unless the start time keeper was a real stickler for rules. Wearing a pro team skinsuit is a bit of a no no in open events though whether or not your club has paid a sponsorship fee. You might get away with an old version, but you certainly couldn't ride in a current pro team kit.

Thanks all, yes, well I've done a few races now and there is certainly allsorts of gear worn and on display. Don't think anyone has been picked up on kit used or worn, more to do with making sure you are a licensed racer and got your number properly displayed.

Did a 3/4 race last night in the rain at Maindy - all sorts of gear being worn, to be kept dry. I'm not sure the guy I followed for 10 minutes was a pro touir sky rider - but from behind he certainly looked like it with some of the gear on!
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    sub55 wrote:
    The overshoes are against the rules in road racing as previously mention, most would`nt care. But rules are rules. If i was beaten into second place by a rider using them , there would be a formal appleal lodged.
    :lol::lol::lol: