Fitting Carbon Forks

Benny2687
Benny2687 Posts: 26
edited April 2012 in Commuting general
Sorry if this has been asked before but i have another newbie question.
If i want to fit Carbon forks to my flat bar hybrid what else do i need to buy other than the forks. Do i need an expander/ bung and what exactly is it?
Does it replace the top cap i already have because i like mine :-)

Comments

• jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Hi
    you will need an expander if the new forks have a carbon steerer (the tube that passes through the frame).
    Many carbon forks have alloy steerers in which case a star fangled nut is placed inside the tube.
    Don't use a star fangled nut on a carbon steerer.
    If you like your top cap, you should still be able to use it.
  • Benny2687
    There is a cheaper option with the alu steerer which i presumed was slightly worse so i wanted to get the carbon steerer option. Do i just buy any expander from wiggle/ crc etc... or will i get a standard one when i take to be fitted at the LBS.

Thanks
  • Benny2687
    Just to make it easier i have a Ridgeback genesis day 00 and looking to fit the Columbus Tusk Light onto it.

If there are any obviouse problems with this please let me know as i am a complete novice and would appreciate any help or advice.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Benny2687 wrote:
    or will i get a standard one when i take to be fitted at the LBS.

Some LBS think that it is a bit rude to buy parts off the web and then ask them to fit it. Why not see if your LBS could supply and fit???
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    natrix wrote:
    Benny2687 wrote:
    or will i get a standard one when i take to be fitted at the LBS.

Some LBS think that it is a bit rude to buy parts off the web and then ask them to fit it. Why not see if your LBS could supply and fit???

Depends on your LBS, if they are sniffy, then yes. I was lucky in Devon; Colin Lewis don't mind charging me for labour only, but that is because I was in there a lot. Here in Fleet I am not much keen on local shops.

If you want to fit it yourself you will need an accurate way of marking and cutting the steerer. SJS sell the tooling I think.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Carbon steerers are easy - cuts like plastic - just measure carefully and use a fine tooth hacksaw.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Benny2687
    Seems a little bit silly to be turning down custom in the current climate. My LBS could only find forks for over 120 pounds which is a bit more than i wanted to pay for my needs.

I have found a local shop that will do it for reasonable price so thanks for all the replies.