oranges aren't the only fruit

team47b
team47b Posts: 6,425
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
I know in this age of all year round fruit availability the simple pleasure of for example the first strawberry of the year is no longer there but today I picked off a tree my (well it was mine seconds after I climbed the neighbour's fence!) first orange of the year, it was really juicy and sweet.

What would be the fruit you would most look forward to?

(No Aggieboy the answer is not cake) :D
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Comments

• raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Very jealous! Oh to live in a climate like that!

Pomegranates! Remember picking them off the tree in Andalucia many years ago - nothing tastes better than fruit that fresh!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Pork scratchings - fruit of Champions.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    haha went to Faro and seen the orange treelined streets - took one expected a cakehole full of sweetness....nooooo...they were bitter as anything. Peas are great freshly picked, lovely flavour.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    freshly baked fruitcake with a thick layer of real butter spread over it. Available all year round.
  • I remember picking peaches off a tree in Portugal - absolutely delicious!! Oh to be back.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I susspect that pilferred friut always tastes better.
    Forbidden fruit and all that..... :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Fresh corn on the cob, picked and cooked with salt and butter within 5 minutes from the local Mennonite farmer in Belize. 19 years on and I still smile at the memory, me and my mates teabag and Kev having a boil up at the side of the road whilst on Patrol.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Wild Blackberries from the lane to my house, sometimes in late summer the journey home from the pub takes ages and my fingers are all black.. when you are a bit pissed the thorns don't seem to be so much bother :D
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    team47b wrote:
    I know in this age of all year round fruit availability the simple pleasure of for example the first strawberry of the year is no longer there but today I picked off a tree my (well it was mine seconds after I climbed the neighbour's fence!) first orange of the year, it was really juicy and sweet.

What would be the fruit you would most look forward to?

(No Aggieboy the answer is not cake) :D

Bacons.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Made some tomato soup once with some fresh tomatoes grown by my folks...was absolutely incredible. So good in fact I can't eat the canned/processed stuff ever again, I'd rather go without as it won't be anywhere near as good.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    The fruit of the God's is mango. I actually get withdrawal symptoms if I don't eat them regularly.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Got to be the first ripe Strawberry off the allotment...Picked when they'er ready to be eaten, not when they'er ready to be sent half way around the world. :D
  • Redhog14 wrote:
    Wild Blackberries from the lane....

Yes. Blackberries eaten straight after picking, or even better taken home and used to make blackberry and apple pie (with puff pastry). Also, fresh wild strawberries straight out of the garden.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Cherries from the old tree in the garden of our house when we lived in Maidenhead. But the pears from our current garden are a pretty close second, third would have to be the victoria plums my grandfather grew in Swanage.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    haha went to Faro and seen the orange treelined streets - took one expected a cakehole full of sweetness....nooooo...they were bitter as anything. Peas are great freshly picked, lovely flavour.

mmmmmmmm Sugarsnap straight from the plant. I'm a big fan of Mingetoo.
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    Can't beat the first chocolate orange of the Christmas season! And one of my five a day!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    rrrrrr Portugal!!! not Manchester.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    More of a veg man myself, stayed at my friend's aunt's house in Donegal once and it had a massive vegetable patch. Every evening we would be out picking Donegal spuds and carrots which would be on the plate half an hour later. I've never tasted potatoes better than those.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Wild strawberries, they're like a taste explosion in your mouth!!

Incidentally, the Greek police have picked all the oranges off the trees in some public square as they were worried that demonstraters would throw them at the politicians (hmm, wonder if they eat them all............)
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    RideOnTime wrote:
    rrrrrr Portugal!!! not Manchester.

? :D

Is this about football*?

*this is a genuine question and any deep/meaningful/sarcastic connection implied in my question to any real or imaginary event is purely coincidental
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    On a ride through the Almenac region of France I needed to stock up on food and some fruit. I also need a stop and found myself in a vine yard. With nobody about I cut off a few bunches of grapes and filled my bar bag. Those grapes were juicy, delicious and kept me going for 2 days. I still feel guilty about it. :cry:
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    +1 for wild Alpine strawberries-food of the Gods IMO
    And walnuts from the tree.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.