Desk Job = Bad Back

beancounter
beancounter Posts: 369
edited April 2012 in Commuting general
I'm reposting this here in the hope that there may be a good number of commuters doing desk jobs like myself:-

I have persistent lower back problems for which I see a chiropractor regularly.

I have never suffered any major back trauma but 30 years of desk jobs have taken their cumulative toll. Thankfully I can still cycle regularly without major discomfort.

I wonder if anyone here has any expertise in the area of properly designed office seating, or could offer any recommendations for a properly supportive office chair?

e.g. are Herman Miller worth the (considerable) expense?

Many thanks for any help

bc
2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
2010 Colnago C50
2005 Colnago C40
2002 Colnago CT1
2010 Colnago World Cup
2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
2009 Merckx LXM
1995 Lemond Gan Team

Comments

• Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    Just like cycling, many physical ailments associated with desk jobs can be sorted by proper fitting.

Get your chair set up right to support your back and sit upright - back and buttocks needs to be at right angles as do the quads and calves - with feet firmly on the floor.

The centre of the PC screen must be level with your eyes.

Once set up, discourage other people from sitting in your chair or at your PC if you can.
  • Shem
    Shem Posts: 24
    I was having trouble with back and neck pains from being sat at the PC for a large slice of my day in the office. I tried many options; changing chairs, taking regular walks around the office and even adjusting all of my desk from day to day.

My final solution was to create a standing desk area without a chair around 3 months ago. It's really helped my back problems and especially my neck as I'm no longer slouched over all day.

I do 14km each morning on the way and will have a sit down for 10 minutes once I arrive to cool down and obviously sit down to eat lunch/ dinner but other than that I'm standing all day.

It can ache the legs for the first week or two but after that it causes no stress at all. It's not for everyone but is a solution to try if all else fails.
    GMT +8
  • beancounter
    Thank you very much for the replies.

Moodyman, you're quite right and I've already got my current office chair set up as best I can, and I'm also using a lumbar support. I'm sitting the best I can at the moment.

Shem, great idea about standing rather than sitting and something I started trying yesterday afternoon, and also this morning. I can manage about an hour before my back feels tired so hopefully I can build this up over time.

Thanks again for your help.

bc
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    For me the biggest cause of sore-back-itis is my tendency to put things on the desk in front of the keyboard. So I shove the keyboard back, then I lean forward to type, hunching my shoulders... I'm my own worst enemy. :D

I love the Aeron chairs but find they don't support me enough.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • beancounter
    Gizmo_ wrote:

Have you found anything which does support you better?

bc
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ wrote:

Have you found anything which does support you better?

bc
    Using an RH Logic 400 at the moment - it's pretty good although my ar$e goes to sleep if I sit in it for too long.
  • Andyt1054
    Andyt1054 Posts: 96
    Although I dont have a bad back per se i have to wear a stab vest at work (the ballistic type :-( ) for anything upto 12 hrs at a time, over the years it gives me chronic lower back pain regularly. Ive found if i sit at a desk and have the chair a little higher than normal, with the back straight up, it relieves a fair bit of the pain.

Ive noticed most people sit very low in the chairs in the office - try sitting a little higher if you can adjust the seats, it seems to do the trick for me.

Andy
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Get everything the right height. This may involve shoving bricks under the legs of your desk (my option for a few years) and will involve several changes of book/pile of paper under your monitor. Start with the right-height-for-everyone guidelines but they're only guidelines - right height for me is with the desk higher than it should be. Lots of trial and error

Don't go to a chiropractor, go to a physio (get your GP to recommend one) and get a course of exercises to get your back sorted out. Chiropractors and other non-proven* treatment tend to generate regular business for themselves, you want someone who'll cure you without having to go back every few months

(*Non-proven: not proven in a properly orchestrated clinical trial. Anecdotes are not proof, even if they contain the phrase, "I don't care what anyone says . . .")
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Gizmo_
    Agreed - get your posture right and half the time your back will sort itself out. (He says, sitting up properly).

Feet flat on the floor, knees at slightly over 90 degrees, back vertical. (And therefore, seat squab slightly sloping down). Relax your shoulders, put your elbows by your sides, and touch the F and J with your index fingers (move the keyboard until this is true). Now stay there. :)
  • beancounter
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    Agreed - get your posture right and half the time your back will sort itself out. (He says, sitting up properly).

Feet flat on the floor, knees at slightly over 90 degrees, back vertical. (And therefore, seat squab slightly sloping down). Relax your shoulders, put your elbows by your sides, and touch the F and J with your index fingers (move the keyboard until this is true). Now stay there. :)

Yep, always do all of that - except for the bit about the keyboard, I hadn't realised I had it way over to the left...

bc
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team