Lake District

dogboy73
dogboy73 Posts: 440
edited August 2012 in Routes
I'm heading up to the Lakes area in a few weeks. I'm looking for good rides in the area. Are there any good trail centres near by? I quite like just blasting around a way marked loop as opposed to trying to follow a map. I'm useless at it & spend more time map reading than riding!!

Comments

• dogboy73
    ..... We'll be staying at Little dale, Lancaster BTW. So anything near there would be cool :wink:
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Grizedale forest and Whinlatter forest are in the lakes. Gisburn is in the Forest of Bowland not too far from Littledale. All have waymarked routes, Grizedale and Whinlatter have cafes and bike shops, Gisburn is less developed and not as busy at weekends. Also your not too far from the Scottish borders straight up the M6 and you have the 7 Stanes trail centres.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/whinlatterforestpark
    http://www.forestry.gov.uk/grizedaleforestpark
    http://www.gisburnbiketrails.com/
    http://www.7stanesmountainbiking.com/Home
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • dogboy73
    Thanks stubs. Just what I was looking for. I'd found the forest of bowland (just down the road from where we're staying) but not th other places. Perfect ;)
  • dogboy73
    ...... As it turned out we were only staying about 30 minutes away from Gisburn Forest so I got some riding in there. The 8 loop (red grade) was fantastic. There were also a few black grade sections but I wasn't brave enough to take these on due to the wet conditions & severe lack of fitness!! :? Struggled enough on the red route! That's what comes of living in Essex - not enough hills or decent trails. Makes you soft! :( Gisburn was fantastic though. Challenging trails & fantastic scenery.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    It is a nice route Gisburn got a little bit of everything, just right for a good blast with mates.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • dogboy73
    stubs wrote:
    It is a nice route Gisburn got a little bit of everything, just right for a good blast with mates.

I really enjoyed but I was riding alone - My brother-in-law was supposed to be coming but he'd picked up an injury that he didn't want to risk making worse. But I loved it there. Some more technical climbs than I'd ridden on other red routes. They were hard work in the wet. Some great technical descents as well. Not enough fast, sweeping single track for my liking but plenty of other good fast downhill sections to blow away the cob webs.

I shat myself on the board sections in the wet :oops: I think I'm struggling with confidence on these sorts of trails since switching to SDP pedals. They've been great around these parts. But my bottle goes a bit on some of the more challenging sections. With flat pedals I was much more up for it.
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    If you are going to the lakes, I wouldn't bother with Grizedale, the natural riding around there is far better and it can get expensive at Grizedale. If you want some proper 'mountain' biking, try getting up to the top of Hellvellyn Skiddaw or one of the other mountains. Its a fair old ride but definately worth it :)
  • bjj.andy.w
    bjj.andy.w Posts: 111
    Compo- I take it you've never done the bridalways of grizedale, they are fantastic.
    When you go to the ground you are in my world. My world is the ocean. I am the shark and most people don't know how to swim
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    I have, and they are undoubtedly good, however I personally prefer to go other places where it is quieter, but each to their own :)
  • IhateDNS
    IhateDNS Posts: 380
    bump old thread.

Whinlatter Trails are not far from were I'm staying The Altura N\S and The Quercus Trail how entertaining are these, have see there not many miles could you fill a day here?
    Riding each trail more then once.

Can Imagine going to be a bit different to Essex :D

Not look at Grizedale forest yet.
    Thanks
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work!
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Whinlatter is good fun, I think you'd get bored riding there for a full day though.

Grizedale on the other hand - loads of stuff to keep you entertained.
  • IhateDNS
    IhateDNS Posts: 380
    Thanks just been looking at Grizedale printed a trail map plenty more there.
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work!
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Theres so much there. And you're not far from langdale, coniston, walna scar, blawith common, etc.