Do it all tyre

bompington
bompington Posts: 7,674
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Looked through the forum a fair bit & I'm struggling to find the answer to this, so perhaps people might be able to help here:

I'm looking for a tyre that must be able to handle:
- mud: thick, thin, sticky, deep, sometimes all the above in quick succession
- tree roots: wet, dry, big, small
- a heavy rider

The intended use is mainly dog-walking, which involves riding through the local woods & fields in all conditions, uphill & down - quite fast, & I've had a couple of pinch flats recently hitting things.

And, just to make it a harder challenge for you, I am a proper skinflint so of course I want all this on the cheap.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    From what I've seen there's no such thing! All tires have their own traits but I don't know of any tire that is good at everything! Grip, rolling resistance, roots, wet, dry, mud, grass, sand etc ... :?
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Look at the tyre discussion thread.....
  • El Zomba
    El Zomba Posts: 164
    It's an iron triangle of Strong, Fast and Cheap, and you can have two of the three.

Personally, now it's getting warmer/drier, I'll be running a Maxxis Minion DHF on the front, and either a Maxxis Ardent or another DHF on the rear. Not the fastest rolling tyres by a long shot, but I'd rather have the grip and put the extra legwork in. If you go for single ply (thinner, but still tough), you should be able to get a pair for under £50.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    bompington wrote:
    I'm looking for a tyre that must be able to handle:
    - mud: thick, thin, sticky, deep, sometimes all the above in quick succession
    - tree roots: wet, dry, big, small
    - a heavy rider

And, just to make it a harder challenge for you, I am a proper skinflint so of course I want all this on the cheap.
    A DH tyre might work for you e.g. Maxxis Minion, Schwalbe Big Betty/Muddy Mary. The stiff carcass and soft compounds find traction where a trail bike tyre would roll over and die.

Or a Maxxis High Roller II.

Hard work on the flat/uphill though and not exactly cheap although there are some deals on nextdaytyres.com and bike-discount.de
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Look at the tyre discussion thread.....
    Always one isn't there? :roll:
    Bompington wrote:
    Looked through the forum a fair bit & I'm struggling to find the answer to this
    ...and, surprisingly, that does include the tyre discussion thread on the first page, it's just that as a relative newb when it comes to off-road riding I'm that unfamiliar with the makes, models and types of tyre: it all just hit me with a sea of opinion.

Thanks to those who posted constructive replies.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I'd go Maxxis minions dhf on front and rear, loads of grip.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2