Hot hot hot...

RideOnTime
RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
What a scorcher. New record temperatures were set yesterday in Scotland at Aboyne, Aberdeenshire, when temperatures soared to 22.9c, making it the hottest March 26 since records began. The temperatures beat the previous day's Scottish record of 22.8c at Fyvie Castle. Apparently fire services in Scotland have had a record number of call-outs to deal with grass fires as very warm conditions come on the back of a prolonged dry spell.
South of the border Otterbourne in Hampshire apparently was the warmest place yesterday at 21.4cc followed by Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch (what a name!) in Wales at 21.1C.

In was hotter in the UK than much of southern Europe… no wonder bike prices are rising.

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    You'll only be needing the one vest if this carries on :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Great weather. Still bloody cold first thing, we've had frosts. 8am Sunday it was 0C, up to the high teens mid-afternoon.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    0.0degC this morning when I set off for the commute, first time in shorts this year.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    This is our summer so make the most of it as we only have a few days left.... :wink:
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Its a pain in the arse. I saw the return of my tan lines on Sunday which was nice, but the commute is doing my nut. I was in tights because of the 0 degree morning ride in, but then melted on the 17 degree ride hom. ive switched to shorts this week and this morning in particular was absolutely baltic, couldn't feel my fingers when i got here. just popped out on lunch and its blazing out there, so another sweaty ride home, luckily not in tights.
  • RideOnTime
    Tights or not, always an issue. Poor Robin Hood.
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I picked a great week to be off work. I'm still recovering from a separated shoulder but you can't let little things like that stop you going out in this weather, can you?
    Shorts and short sleeves in Derbyshire in March, unbelievable :D
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Tights over bibs in the morning. Along with overshoes, jacket and gloves as 2 degrees.
    Fortunately the tights, overshoes and gloves will be in the bag going home in the blazing sunshine! :P
    Currently 19 degrees and no wind. Nice.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    Its a pain in the ars*. I saw the return of my tan lines on Sunday which was nice, but the commute is doing my nut. I was in tights because of the 0 degree morning ride in, but then melted on the 17 degree ride hom. ive switched to shorts this week and this morning in particular was absolutely baltic, couldn't feel my fingers when i got here. just popped out on lunch and its blazing out there, so another sweaty ride home, luckily not in tights.

Not got any leg warmers? Ideal for this situation. Wear on the ride in the morning, stuff them in the jersey pocket for the ride home.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • LeicesterLad
    rozzer32 wrote:
    Its a pain in the ars*. I saw the return of my tan lines on Sunday which was nice, but the commute is doing my nut. I was in tights because of the 0 degree morning ride in, but then melted on the 17 degree ride hom. ive switched to shorts this week and this morning in particular was absolutely baltic, couldn't feel my fingers when i got here. just popped out on lunch and its blazing out there, so another sweaty ride home, luckily not in tights.

Not got any leg warmers? Ideal for this situation. Wear on the ride in the morning, stuff them in the jersey pocket for the ride home.

Far to a simple solution for me i'm afraid! :lol:
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    rozzer32 wrote:

Far to a simple solution for me i'm afraid! :lol:

:lol: thinks LeicesterLad will be investing in a pair today.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    random man wrote:
    I picked a great week to be off work. I'm still recovering from a separated shoulder but you can't let little things like that stop you going out in this weather, can you?
    Shorts and short sleeves in Derbyshire in March, unbelievable :D

Some people, wait 'til Phoebie finds out. :P
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Lovely out on the water today.....

scaled.php?server=14&filename=p1010710y.jpg&res=medium
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Yeah, it doesn't get much better - not a breath of wind for a few days and temps in the high teens.

Saw quite a few people with sunburn today though - ridiculous that that is the scourge of the common man around here. No wonder our skin cancer stats are so bad - never mind when they go for their 2 weeks in the sun and come home like a lobster as "it will turn into a tan in a few days".
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    Took t e cross bike into work today and rode home along the towpath from Richmond to Kingston. Bliss.
  • RideOnTime
    hstiles wrote:
    Took t e cross bike into work today and rode home along the towpath from Richmond to Kingston. Bliss.

Good everywhere today... This can't last.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    6878043140_f46f2aaef0.jpg

Not a cloud in the sky this afternoon, must have been at least 20C.. shame that the actual summer will inevitably be dull, rainy and 17C.

slightly larger version: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7227/6878043140_f46f2aaef0_b.jpg
  • LeicesterLad

Not a cloud in the sky this afternoon, must have been at least 20C.. shame that the actual summer will inevitably be dull, rainy and 17C.

slightly larger version: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7227/6878043140_f46f2aaef0_b.jpg

Can I just say, I F*cking love that picture. That picture floats my boat. Chapeau.
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    To quote Halfman Halfbiscuit - "Christ that sun's hot/yes that's right sir"

Ramraid Oxfam!
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580

Can I just say, I F*cking love that picture. That picture floats my boat. Chapeau.

Is this somewhere in Cambs??? That view looks familiar. I agree with LL, that's a bloody nice pic.

I hope it lasts, new bike is finally being delivered tomorrow. :D
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • alihisgreat
    jordan_217 wrote:

Is this somewhere in Cambs??? That view looks familiar. I agree with LL, that's a bloody nice pic.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Yes, its along the top of Staughton Moor with the airfield behind where the camera is pointing (In-between Great Staughton/Little Staughton)

The panorama photo does take it a little out of perspective though.. the road was pretty much straight so you did well to recognize it -> if it is the view you were thinking of! and considering the dodgy quality from my phone's camera!

The route I took coming across the A1 up through Great Barford, over the A421 then up to Great Staughton has some great views over Cambs/beds especially looking over towards St Neots -> would have got that view with a panorama but i didn't fancy walking off into a field to get an unobstructed view with no trees/bushes next to the road! Might try that one tomorrow though.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 wrote:

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Yes, its along the top of Staughton Moor with the airfield behind where the camera is pointing (In-between Great Staughton/Little Staughton)

The panorama photo does take it a little out of perspective though.. the road was pretty much straight so you did well to recognize it -> if it is the view you were thinking of! and considering the dodgy quality from my phone's camera!

The route I took coming across the A1 up through Great Barford, over the A421 then up to Great Staughton has some great views over Cambs/beds especially looking over towards St Neots -> would have got that view with a panorama but i didn't fancy walking off into a field to get an unobstructed view with no trees/bushes next to the road! Might try that one tomorrow though.

Hmm, not where I was thinking of then, but I suppose a lot of roads around Cambs/Beds/Northants look the same as it's pancake flat! I thought it was between Cambourne and Hilton. I've never ventured much further south than St Neots, usually staying north of the A428.

Some nice routes around there, just a shame you always seem to have a head wind and there's not many hills!
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • alihisgreat
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Hmm, not where I was thinking of then, but I suppose a lot of roads around Cambs/Beds/Northants look the same as it's pancake flat! I thought it was between Cambourne and Hilton. I've never ventured much further south than St Neots, usually staying north of the A428.

Some nice routes around there, just a shame you always seem to have a head wind and there's not many hills!

I don't ride north of the A428 much.. but that's because over towards Hilton there are even fewer hills!

I'll do more than double the climbing (at a whopping 1100ft :roll: ) over a 40mile route south of the A428 and over towards bedford than if I rode over in the Hilton, Fenstanton area over towards Ely and north of Cambridge.

Don't get me started on headwinds though :x
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 wrote:

I don't ride north of the A428 much.. but that's because over towards Hilton there are even fewer hills!

I'll do more than double the climbing (at a whopping 1100ft :roll: ) over a 40mile route south of the A428 and over towards bedford than if I rode over in the Hilton, Fenstanton area over towards Ely and north of Cambridge.

Don't get me started on headwinds though :x

Try heading further west down the B660 towards Kimbolton then over into East Northants and out towards Corby and Rockingham - it gets a bit lumpier over this way, not as windy too.