Thinking about tubeless - possible with my rims and tyres?

hard-rider
hard-rider Posts: 460
edited March 2012 in MTB general
I find I'm getting a puncture or two or three every second or third ride now so am thinking of going tubeless. I currently run the DT Swiss 445D rims (OEM version I guess) and Rocket Ron Permanence tyres, again the OEM version that came on the bike.

Firstly, are my rims and tyres even suitable to convert to tubeless. I read that not all non UST tyres seal well. Can anyone shed some advice based on experience with a similar set up? I'm not sure if I should go with the commercial tubeless conversion, e.g. Stans or the DIY ghetto system. I assume the Stans system will be slightly lighter.

Comments

• mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    hard-rider wrote:
    I'm not sure if I should go with the commercial tubeless conversion, e.g. Stans or the DIY ghetto system. I assume the Stans system will be slightly lighter.

I doubt if there will be any difference in weight, the DIY ghetto is essentially the same thing as a Stans kit.

No idea about your particular tyre/rim combo, I'm afraid. The DIY method doesn't cost that much to try.
  • I'd say No.... Not because of the rims but the tires... I just can't see them holding air.... But try it and see if it works.... If it doesn't, buy some Tubeless / tubeless compatible tires.... ;0)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Schwalbe tyres with the Evo carcass (older, non-tubeless ones) work brilliantly tubeless, not tried the Performance ones, but I expect they'll work just fine.
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    Thanks. Am I correct in thinking that if it doesn't work it will be because the tyre won't seat against the rim properly to make an airtight seal? In other words I should be able to see if it works without buying any sealant and just putting in the modified tube (ghetto style) and seeing if the tyre will inflate. If it does then I can get the sealant. If not then it's new tyres required.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Mmmmm, yes probably. You may find there are leaks in the tyres which are sufficient to stop in inflating, but would be sealed pretty easily with sealant, but yes it'll give you a good idea.

I'd get a roll of Stan's yellow tape, and some valves. Take off any rim tape, clean rim, turn of tape, 2 if the tyre's still loose. Put valve in. Pump.