Garmin 705

cavcan
cavcan Posts: 31
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Not sure if this is the best place to post so apologies if not.

I'm planning on cycling from London to Bath on Friday and have borrowed a mates Garmin 705 for the journey. I have mapped the route on the Garmin website, and sent the route to the Garmin. As a test I also did the same for my route to work and used the Garmin on my commute this morning.

I have only used a Garmin once before - it told you how long to the next turning and then when you were close to the turning it said "Left turn in 400 yards", zoomed in on the junction and counted down the number of yards. Very very helpful. However, on the way to work this morning the Garmin just showed me the route and where I was on it but nothing else. How can I get the full functionality to work as I fear I will need this on 100 miles of roads I do not know on the way to Bath??

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I can't see how to turn on the turn alert on the Garmin Connect website. A lot of people use BikeRouteToaster or Bikely for creating routes. With BRT you can create and download withouth logging in whereas you do with Bikely.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    If the 705 is like the 800 you may need to turn warnings on in the course properties menu as opposed to the system menu. It would appear that the global settings aren't what they say.
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    cavcan wrote:
    Not sure if this is the best place to post so apologies if not.

I'm planning on cycling from London to Bath on Friday and have borrowed a mates Garmin 705 for the journey. I have mapped the route on the Garmin website, and sent the route to the Garmin. As a test I also did the same for my route to work and used the Garmin on my commute this morning.

I have only used a Garmin once before - it told you how long to the next turning and then when you were close to the turning it said "Left turn in 400 yards", zoomed in on the junction and counted down the number of yards. Very very helpful. However, on the way to work this morning the Garmin just showed me the route and where I was on it but nothing else. How can I get the full functionality to work as I fear I will need this on 100 miles of roads I do not know on the way to Bath??

Any advice much appreciated.
    And what model was the last Garmin you used? The 705 has no speech function so it wont "tell you" anything. You can however set it to give a warning beep when a junction is coming up this then prompts you to look at the screen and see where you need to go. IF you saved the route as a GPX route not a course! see link for more.

Hope this helps
    https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=8276
  • cavcan
    cavcan Posts: 31
    This looks helpful, thank you. I don't know if it is a GPX file, I simply mapped the route on Garmin's website, then "sent to device." I have it mapped on mapmyride as well so will try to save as gpx.