Gearing

Bloz
Bloz Posts: 31
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Have got a 105 compact on my roadbike with an 11-28 rear cassette. Am new'ish to cycling and am contemplating a C2C ride across the Lakes and Penines etc in 3 months time. I'm not particularly fit and could weigh less. I am also concerned about the amount of climbing this ride will entail. Should I
a) Train more and reduce pie intake ?
b) Explore reducing gearing. Tiagra cassette goes to 30 teeth - would that make a noticeable difference ? My rear mech is short cage so might need replacing to. Don't want to go to big expense or a triple.
c) Both ?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Mainly a).

b) might be useful, but 28 on the back is already pretty spinny.

Might be better, if you really need lower gears to consider a 'compact' settup on the front.

Best solution for everyone is a) though.
  • wakou
    wakou Posts: 165
    I just put an 11-32 on mine w/short cage rear 105 Mech, NP really '(don't cross chain tho eek!) The only issue I had ( I am not an experienced bike tech) was getting the chain length right, so not saggy in small/small 32f 11r but not too short in big big 50f 32r this last, if not impossible, has to be exact, I got mine I think one link too short, but big/big is a combo to be avoided anyway.

If you have legs made of spaghetti like mine are, the change to a triple set-up is a lot more involved, you need to change the crankset (obv) but also the left shifter, possibly the front mech, possibly the rear mech. HTH

PS I think the OP already has compact set-up
    Have got a 105 compact on my roadbike with an 11-28 rear cassette
    "I had righteous got my wheel backmost from a fettlin' at the LBS and was hunt transport to equitation it. As it was Refrigerated in the AM......"
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'd stick with what you've got. How tough it will be depends a lot on the route - eg Bassenthwaite Lake, Keswick, Penrith has no big climbs at all, Whinlatter is fairly harmless, Honister quite tough and Hardknott and Wrynose a git.

Then on the Dales side, you can get through to Wensleydale without anything tough but Swaledale has quite a climb - but even that isn't massively steep.
    Faster than a tent.......