Controversial? Red Issue (Man U Fanzine) in the News Again

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
redissue_2177805b.jpg
The cover shows Muamba receiving treatment after suffering his cardiac arrest on the White Hart Lane pitch with speech bubbles coming from the crowd saying "Is he dead?", "I've Tweeted my condolences just in case" and "Good mourning" under the headline "Grief Junkies run riot".
But a spokesman for the fanzine, which has been published monthly since 1989, has defended the cover despite hostile reactions to it online.
The Red Issue spokesman told the Manchester Evening News that the cover was "in no way" aimed at the player himself.
"It's aimed at the people who latched onto the situation and all their fake sentiments," he said. "The self-satisfaction of so many people on Twitter and other social networks as though their thoughts and prayers were responsible for his (Muamba's) recovery rather than the paramedics and those involved and the player's own fitness.
"You see it more and more. Whenever celebrities become unstuck it's a big issue while there are people being killed in Syria and Afghanistan who are not worth a mention.
"In no way was this intended as a dig at Muamba, why would it be? It was at the circus surrounding it."
The cover appears on an issue of the fanzine which will be on sale ahead of Monday night's Premier League game between Manchester United and Fulham.
The fanzine has courted controversy recently, with issues being confiscated by the police ahead of an FA Cup game against Liverpool in February for containing a spoof Ku Klux Klan hood poking fun at Luis Suarez after he was found guilty of racially abusing Patrice Evra

Daily Telegraph

They certainly have an eye for controversy.

I have to say that I understand where they are coming from with these hysterical outpourings of grief. Its been the same since Diana was murdered whoops sorry I mean erm, killed in Paris
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    spen666 wrote:
    I have to say that I understand where they are coming from with these hysterical outpourings of grief. Its been the same since Diana was murdered whoops sorry I mean erm, killed in Paris

With you on that one spen. People preparing to weep buckets over someone they hadn't even heard of before this all happened.......

Still, it could have been worse - he could have been from Liverpool :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    While I don't entirely disagree with the satirical point they are making, characterising a player having a heart attack as a celebrity coming 'unstuck' seems a tad harsh.

The commemorative cover for this years Munich anniversary should be absolutey 'ilarous..
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Looks good to me, and continues the long tradition that Private Eye has carried for all of my life. The reasoning is sound too, having a poke at the professional mourners & the like.

I've said it on here before there really are too many people around who give all the impression that they can't wait to be offended about something and when they strike lucky don't we all know about it?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited March 2012
    Mmmmmm

I think that Man U Fanzine lacks decency.

But at the same time I think professional mouners lack decency too.

Nothing wrong with paying your respects but the money and time spent on paying respect (laying signed shirts outside Bolton for example) to the player could be donated to help his native African country, which he fled, for example.

That said we can't gauge how much someone is hurt by something or how much they are playing up to it. There are some famous people who, if died, I'd be devastated.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    CiB wrote:
    Looks good to me, and continues the long tradition that Private Eye has carried for all of my life. The reasoning is sound too, having a poke at the professional mourners & the like.

I've said it on here before there really are too many people around who give all the impression that they can't wait to be offended about something and when they strike lucky don't we all know about it?

+1. Also valid point in regard to people wishing to share everything on social media.
    tumblr_lsgs9kr90w1qf0i9eo1_1280.jpg
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Kony pretty much sums up bandwagon jumpers who want to be outraged by something they know nothing about.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    iPete wrote:
    Kony pretty much sums up bandwagon jumpers who want to be outraged by something they know nothing about.
    I love how the KONY2012 campaign imploded in on itself...
  • cje
    cje Posts: 148
    I'm a Liverpool fan and I think they've got it spot-on.

Grief athletics has become our national sport.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    It has all got a bit weird - I can't understand what people get out of it?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • spen666
    I'm pleased to see that I am not alone in decrying this hysterical grief that seems to afflict the nation.

Twittering @spen_666
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    spen666 wrote:
    I'm pleased to see that I am not alone in decrying this hysterical grief that seems to afflict the nation.

Plenty of people think it.

It's about how tastefully or not you express it right?
  • CiB
    Not really Rick. Why does everything in this life have to be couched so as not to offend someone somewhere? What's wrong with good old-fashioned bad taste jokes that always used to appear straight after any bad news event? Blimey - the haste with which the first Herald Of Free Enterprise jokes, or jokes about Jill Dando, Princess Diana, Hungerford, The Queen Mother, etc etc appeared was generally a sign of how bad the news was. It didn't stop anyone feeling anything less than full & proper remorse or whatever, but it did act as a relief valve for when it started to get a bit too heavy. These days you only have to allow the suggestion that you haven't spent the time since <insert bad news event> happened in floods of tears to be enough to generate a wheelbarrow full of opprobrium for the poor unfortunate not showing 110% grief.
  • rick_chasey
    You can say whatever you want as far as I am concerned. You can even publish what you want.

If you are making a publication, available to the public, you need to be aware that the less tasteful you are about these kinds of things, the more upset some people will be.

The magazine clearly doesn't mind, and likes the (negative) publicity. No-one should be shocked or counter-offended that this cover isn't well received by quite a few people.
  • CiB
    Indeed. And people who do profess to be shocked, or offended, should be politely told to ignore it then, whatever's bothering them. The world doesn't and shouldn't revolve around the self-important 'easily-offended'. Who cares anyway? Offended? So?
  • rick_chasey
    CiB wrote:
    Indeed. And people who do profess to be shocked, or offended, should be politely told to ignore it then, whatever's bothering them. The world doesn't and shouldn't revolve around the self-important 'easily-offended'. Who cares anyway? Offended? So?

Think of it this way.

Rightly or wrongly, a lot of people were moved by the Muamba thing.

The front cover is mocking them.

People, unsurprisingly, don't like to be mocked - especially considering the nature of the event - since they feel their emotions are sincere relating to a serious event.

Having said all that, there is technically a rule brought in by labour that makes 'offending' people an offence.

Something I believe the coalition are trying to get rid of!
  • notsoblue
    CiB wrote:

Where do you draw the line though? Should those who are offended by jokes made at the expense of recently deceased people on their Facebook pages just ignore it? e.g. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bi ... m-14121631
  • cje
    notsoblue wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Where do you draw the line though? Should those who are offended by jokes made at the expense of recently deceased people on their Facebook pages just ignore it? e.g. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bi ... m-14121631

I think there's a world of difference between hard-hitting satire about the reaction to a footballer's sudden illness and trolling a page set up to commemorate the dead.
  • notsoblue
    cje wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    CiB wrote:

I think there's a world of difference between hard-hitting satire about the reaction to a footballer's sudden illness and trolling a page set up to commemorate the dead.

Well its about people being offended by something isn't it. If Muamba wasn't a footballer, he wouldn't be fair game. Theres something inconsistent about that approach imo.
  • cje
    Muamba isn't fair game. But that cover is in no way mocking Muamba.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    You can say whatever you want as far as I am concerned. You can even publish what you want.
    And they made you a mod?

Back on topic, I don't actually have a problem with that cover. I do think some of the over the top grieving for someone you've never met a little strange. I can understand being a bit sad, thinking that the sport they are involved in may be slightly poorer for their loss. But it can go too far.
  • rick_chasey
    Veronese68 wrote:
    And they made you a mod?

Hell. Yes.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    notsoblue wrote:
    cje wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Well its about people being offended by something isn't it. If Muamba wasn't a footballer, he wouldn't be fair game. Theres something inconsistent about that approach imo.

No one is saying Muamba himself is fair game, he's not the one being mocked here.

I don't find the joke especially funny, not because I find it offensive, although, I do find it in slightly poor taste.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    While I don't entirely disagree with the satirical point they are making, characterising a player having a heart attack as a celebrity coming 'unstuck' seems a tad harsh.

The commemorative cover for this years Munich anniversary should be absolutey 'ilarous..

The February edition was the one with the Ku Klux Klan mask. Suarez being a racist sadly overshadowed what we should have been remembering.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • tailwindhome
    Replacing that cover with a picture of the six servicemen killed in Afganistan would provoke an interesting reaction.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • cje
    Replacing that cover with a picture of the six servicemen killed in Afganistan would provoke an interesting reaction.

Well it wouldn't make sense would it?
  • notsoblue
    Jez mon wrote:
    No one is saying Muamba himself is fair game, he's not the one being mocked here.

I don't find the joke especially funny, not because I find it offensive, although, I do find it in slightly poor taste.

Well put it this way, I'd be surprised if it would have been published if Muamba had died.

Personally I don't really care that much, or even really know much about the situation. But where there is a chance that you will genuinely hurt or offend people, it doesn't take much to choose not to make the joke at someone's expense just to sell papers. Ultimately though, people can print what they want as far as I'm concerned, but they shouldn't hide behind free speech and make accusations of hypocrisy when people call them out on bad taste.
  • tailwindhome
    cje wrote:

Well it wouldn't make sense would it?

I think it would.

Similar inane bollox on 24 hr rolling news which continued until the Belgian coach crash, which in turn was replaced by Muamba.
  • spen666
    Having said all that, there is technically a rule brought in by labour that makes 'offending' people an offence.

What rule is this?

I presume that by "rule" you are meaning legislation ie law.

I cannot immediately think of an offence of "offending" alone

Twittering @spen_666
  • rick_chasey
    spen666 wrote:

What rule is this?

I presume that by "rule" you are meaning legislation ie law.

I cannot immediately think of an offence of "offending" alone

Was at a talk from an MEP last month and she was saying that there is now a rule in the UK which criminalises deliberately 'offending' people. She quoted the actual rule but I've since forgotten.
  • tailwindhome
    S'pose if McQuaid can sue Kimmage for 'annoying' him then anything is possible