Switching Tyres

LeicesterLad
LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
I have been riding on gatorskins for a few years now and fancy switching to GP4000s. I rode some gp's briefly a few years ago but can't really remember the ride. What sort of difference will the 4000s make to my ride, I want puncture resistance but I am finding the gatorskins a bit sluggish this year and have read about the rolling resistance benefit of the GPs, is this to be believed? Will I notice a marked difference?

Cheers muchly.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    I'm not sure compared to gatorskins, but after 2 rides, I'm a fan of my GP4000 S's (25 front, 23mm rear) - Stunning deals on Conti tyres at bike-discount.de at the mo too - basically 2 for 1 compared to RRP

I went from a knackered set of 28mm 4 seasons however so I don't think I ve done a totally fair test...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I've run both, currently using GP4000's. Can't say I've noticed that much difference. The 4000's are great for performance with good puncture resistance.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    i tried gp4000s for 1 ride and gave them away, they rode like hosepipes and punctured on dry roads.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I'm finding so many Extremely positive reviews of the GP4000S, but i'm also finding some Extremely negative, there seems to be no middle ground. Some people saying they punture constantly, some people saying they have covered 3000miles without a puncture and that they roll incredible quickly...hmm, DDraver - will deffinately check out that site, seems most places have them at about £39 each :shock: i'm no tight arse but come on....
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    EUR 27 for mine, which is still about GBP27 but.... ;)

That said, i use them on well maintained bike paths/small cobbles in holland and becasue I mostly use them for fast club runs I pump them up hard!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I'm finding so many Extremely positive reviews of the GP4000S, but i'm also finding some Extremely negative, there seems to be no middle ground. Some people saying they punture constantly, some people saying they have covered 3000miles without a puncture and that they roll incredible quickly...hmm
    Now there's your problem - reading polarized views written on t'internet :) , which could apply to pretty much every aspect of cycling.

Opposite to ddraver, I use a 23mm front and 25mm rear but I am a heavy rider. And to add to the polarized views, I've never had a puncture in nearly two years and 8,000+ miles of riding. Did have one explode when locked in the car last summer but it was at the end of its life and was weakened by a couple of flat spots due to lock ups caused by the lemming-like behaviour by pedestrians.
  • Cliveyp
    Cliveyp Posts: 173
    I've just treated myself to a Gatorskin for the rear of my Trek 1.2 as i've had a puncture each time i've been out for the last 3 rides on the factory tyres. Hoping i've not done the wrong thing, but just couldnt justify the price of the GP4000.......
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
    2001 Giant Boulder - Sold
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I run 2x GP4000s at 23mm and they are good as gold. No punctures, don't think I have much wear and commuted on them all through winter (ok, it was pretty mild...)

I'd say the back locks up quite easily if you brake hard, but that might be (probably is) down to me.

The guy in the bike shop says 'if you use them for commuting you clearly have more money than sense'. Well I can tell you for sure that I have not much of either, but keep them pumped up and they give a nice ride.

If you have used the Conti Ultra Sports - Id say they feel almost identical (what I replaced), but live a long longer

Oddly, there are no BR reviews for them.