blackspire dewlie or stinger ?

A planty
A planty Posts: 47
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
which of these products would be the better option ?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    For what?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • A planty
    cooldad wrote:
    For what?
    I'm riding a cannondale SL3 HT and am getting fed up with my chain keep dropping over the rougher trails and the chain slap I'm getting is ridiculous
  • mini-eggs
    mini-eggs Posts: 811
    I currently run a Blackspire Stinger, and can thoroughly recommend it.
    Its cheap to buy, does the job and does it well, very simple to fit. Never dropped a chain with it. Comes in lots of colours too. There just is no down side.

Well worth getting
    Follow me on....Google+
    Shop here....eBay Shop
  • cooldad
    The Dewlie would be massive overkill. Stinger is better, but I would check setup - chain length etc. Chain shouldn't just come off.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I have an SL3 and don't have this problem...
  • A planty
    EH_Rob wrote:
    I have an SL3 and don't have this problem...
    It's ok while I'm riding the trails. But when I'm blasting down some of the rougher DH Sections it sometimes drops but it the chain slap that's driving me crazy ! I also don't want another lump on my shin like I currently have lol
  • A planty
    mini-eggs wrote:
    I currently run a Blackspire Stinger, and can thoroughly recommend it.
    Its cheap to buy, does the job and does it well, very simple to fit. Never dropped a chain with it. Comes in lots of colours too. There just is no down side.

Well worth getting
    Cheers. How do i tell which mounting Plate I'll need. What do I need to look for ?
  • cooldad
    Sounds like you need a chainstay protector and/or a shorter chain.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Or keep it in bigger rings/cogs when going downhill.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • EH_Rob
    cooldad wrote:

Aye that's what I do and it seems to be fine. Where did you get the bike from, and have you changed anything on the drivetrain?
  • A planty
    EH_Rob wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Aye that's what I do and it seems to be fine. Where did you get the bike from, and have you changed anything on the drivetrain?
    No it's as standard , at the moment lol I tend to run on the middle ring and about the same on the rear so I can pedal like a nutter around the trails. Gets boring just rolling around lol
  • Put the chain in the big ring as someone has mentioned and buy some road bike bar tape and wrap it round the chainstays like I did with my Intense Uzzi and Mojo HD... You just saved a shed load of money and you get to keep your 3 front rings.... ;0)
  • EH_Rob
    There's already a chainstay protector on there, Cannondale whack them on as standard on these, presumably to help you get over the average forks.

Yup my drivetrain is standard too, no issues.

Just make sure you're on the big ring at the front and it should be fine, definately where you should be for descents. If you're struggling to pedal you need to either go faster, or ride a bit more and your legs will get used to it. You just have to be ready to change gear quickly for climbs!

Unless there is actually something wrong with the drivetrain, which I can't rule out. Hopefully there isn't.
  • A planty
    EH_Rob wrote:
    There's already a chainstay protector on there, Cannondale whack them on as standard on these, presumably to help you get over the average forks.

Yup my drivetrain is standard too, no issues.

Just make sure you're on the big ring at the front and it should be fine, definitely where you should be for descents. If you're struggling to pedal you need to either go faster, or ride a bit more and your legs will get used to it. You just have to be ready to change gear quickly for climbs!

Unless there is actually something wrong with the drivetrain, which I can't rule out. Hopefully there isn't.
    Cheers, Sounds like a plan I'll give it ago. Unfortunately the wife's on a hen weekend this week so no riding :( so will have to try it next time around. But still think I'm going to lose the big ring and use a stinger
  • EH_Rob
    No worries, would be interested to know how the conversion goes!
  • A planty
    EH_Rob wrote:
    No worries, would be interested to know how the conversion goes!
    I'll post an update on here. It'll probably b a few weeks though cheers again