Routes Trails in or around Surrey?

Robodot
Robodot Posts: 8
edited March 2012 in Routes
I live in the wallington/croydon area and there seems to be no trails near to me, I often try to veer off the road onto any dirt paths to find some form of trail but i'm looking for somewhere which is slightly more challenging near to me. I'm 17 and cant drive yet so my travel is limited.
In the past i've mainly gone to Leith Hill which seems to be the nearest place for 'proper' mountain biking.
I've heard about a place in Coulsdon but have never checked it out.
Anyone able to point me in the direction of some good trail areas?

cheers,

Rob

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pity about the driving, because the Surrey Hills (including Leith) are probably the best riding in the south. You could try catching a train to Dorking and riding up from there. Or getting off at Gomshall and riding to Peaslake where you can ride Pitch, Wintefold and Holmbury Hill. Often rides arranged in London Calling in Rides - someone may be able to pick you up at the station, but some people ride down regularly. The ride to Peaslake is about half an hour, maybe less.
    No idea about Croydon, but don't think there's anything decent.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • surreymtb
    surreymtb Posts: 26
    It's a bit unfashionable :-p but Surrey Country Council has a website showing loads of routes - you might find something closer to home. You can buy a map covering each area at £2 a go from a local library.

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/roads-and-tr ... cle-guides
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Well trains it is then, Gomshall or dorking will get into the North downs.

from Epson downs you can take the old roman road to bottom of box hill, quite nice not the most technical but quite nice.

you can get closish to Swinley by train, though that would be a close on 2hr trip so not worth it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    There is a decent loop from Walton on the Hill (near Tadworth), nothing very gnarly but a pleasant enough ride with some fun bits. I have maps but bit big - if you PM me your email address I'll send them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ian43
    Ian43 Posts: 172
    Get yourself an OS map as well of your local area, you will be surprised at the amount of paths and bridalways you never know existed.

Your of near enough to the north downs to be able to finds some decent routes, Evans do a ride it from Biggin Hill area in about October I believe as well which are well worth it for £12.50 so check out their website.
  • Robodot
    Robodot Posts: 8
    Thanks for all of your answers, I'll try and check these out next time we decide to get the bikes out, mines in a bit of a state at the moment :(
    The one near Tadworth seems close enough, I've ridden to just beyond Epsom a couple of times so might take a trip down there soonish
    Not too keen on taking a train trip somewhere :P

Rob
  • alansd1980
    alansd1980 Posts: 201
    try going across from wallington to Banstead downs. Its not that big but there are quite a few little sections of singletrack and a few bombholes to get some air from! Also try farthing downs and happy valley. If you buy an OS map you can link them up and have a decent XC ride
    Banstead in Surrey to Russell square and back
    FCN 4