Cassette or something too tight?

rc856
rc856 Posts: 1,144
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,

I've also posted this in workshop but if a lot of folk are like me, I rarely visit workshop so I'm casting my net wider! :)

So, my other thread was asking if it was possible to put a cassette on too tight?
I had a reply saying it was possible to put the lockring on too tight but it wouldn't give the issues that I have explained below.....

Basically I've got the same summer bike that I was on last year.
Last year I was using Campag Zonda's with a Centaur cassette.
Over the winter I bought a set of Campag Shamal's with a brand new Centaur cassette.
That's all that's different...nothing else.

Good bike had it's first outing today for this year and it felt like hard work some of the time.

The reason I ask about the cassette is because I got my summer bike and winter bike (where the Zonda's now live) and if I use my hand to spin the cranks backwards with the same amount of force, or as close as I can get to it, there's a definite half spin more or so in favour of the Zondas and it just seems to spin more freely.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    More grease in the freehub of the new wheel. I wouldn't worry about it.
    More problems but still living....
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    As above - the bearings will be packed with fresh grease and should settle down as the grease distributes itself around the hub properly.

Spinning a wheel unloaded with the bike upside down isnt a good test for how well a wheel spins when loaded anyway. The cassette lockring simply connects the cassette to the freehub anyway - no affect on wheel bearings.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    I think this problem may be almost entirely inside your mind. I suspect it will remain there forever and return occasionally, especially on long climbs when others are gradually moving way from you with each pedal rotation.

You'll probably be needing some new, and very, very expensive wheels. Perhaps even a new bike. Good luck.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Excellent, thanks.

The new wheel/new grease thing seems a bit obvious now :oops:
    More miles needed!

Jim - there's always a reason for new stuff! :D