Chainset/crankset

jtothec101
jtothec101 Posts: 3
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Hi there,

Massively new to biking, and am undertaking a massive 1000 mile charity bike ride in the summer.

I have myself a lovely new road bike, and have managed to damage the crank arm and chain ring, looking to replace them all.

I currently have a Truvativ Iso Flow 39/52, not looking to spend too much money, but one something as good if not better for around £50.

I have found RaceFace Cadence Road Chainset 39/53 - is this too big? i don't understand about the ratio's at all!

If you have any suggestions of better, or more suitable chainsets, please let me know. Really want to get back on the bike and training as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Jack

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    If you are pretty new to cycling and are doing LEJOG (?? - thats about 1000 miles) then go for a compact. This is one with a 50 outer chainring and 34 inner ring. This should help you with the climbs at least - . A 50 chainring is plenty big enough for the faster sections.

How is the bottom bracket? Truvativ use a Powerspline bottom bracket with that chainset so you either need something compatable (Truvativ Tuoro etc) or replace with a matching BB and crankset.

What length cranks do you use (stamped on the back of the crank somewhere)??