Riding in fog.

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
Not something I normally do, but coming home after staying with friends I was in the thick of it very early on Saturday morning. I had good lights including a "Close Encounters" rucksack cover, but it was weird - in a good way.
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Once was cycling to work with a thick Haar over the river, went into it just as went on the bridge on the Fife side so wasn't a problem on the road, but it enveloped me on the shared use along the waterfront in Dundee, couldn't see or hear the cars on Riverside Drive (about 5m away) couldn't see more than 3m of water, and suddenly as I'm spinning along I hear a small marine engine as the rail bridge safety boat chugs past about 1m off the esplanade wall.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I was also out early on Saturday morning, roads were really quiet and I had good lights on.

I enjoyed it but almost got caught out coming down a steep hill towards a T junction, I didn't realise how wet the bike got in fog (condensation) went for the brakes and there was nothing there really, due to the rims being wet :oops:

I got away with it and will remember in future to apply brakes earlier in fog.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    Here's my 6 penneth...thickish fog, i won't cycle.
    I work 20 miles from home so commuting by bikes not an easy option (long shifts)
    Saturday morning, thickish fog, i was driving at 35 to 40 mph, as was everyone else. The truth is, its too fast...it occured to me that if you came up behind a bike with poor rear lighting, you'd see him so late, you'd have precious little time to take neccessary action.
    If you werent concentrating on the road, that precious little time becomes even shorter. just isn't safe IMO.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    ^^ I know what your saying, I wouldn't normally do it if I'm honest but I hadn't been for a good ride out all week and I was up and wide awake by 5:30am so I knew there would be no/very little traffic where I was going.

If it was a little later in the day though I wouldn't have ventured out.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    I was shocked by how many cyclists I saw out particulary on Sunday in thick fog. On guy had no lights, nothing hi-viz. Even though I had seen him go down this road, it wasn't until I was nearly upon him I saw him again. And he was wearing just shorts and short-sleeved t-shirt in 4 degrees!!! saw another group of 4 guys were only the guy at the back had a rear light flashing away. Madness and very lucky no-one was run down.
  • themekon
    themekon Posts: 197
    I'm never that desperate to go out that I will ride in foggy conditions. It is just not worth the risk, not excusing car drivers but a cycle even with lights on will just appear out of nowhere in condition like we had on Saturday morning. High viz is next to useless in fog. We don't get that many foggy days and the sun soon burns it off.